1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What is your USP (Unque Selling Proposition)?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Josh.S, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Glad you have a professional fame of mind...... If you were to relate it to our (or at least my) field you would see that I'm only offering the customer a referral to another contractor who specializes in a service that I may not, Which for them may be Better than picking one out of the Yellow Pages.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I 100% agree with networking as a structure, I was referring to the language you used. This thread is dealing with USP's and I have yet to see a second USP. I am anxious to hear them. The problem has been the inability to decipher a value from a service, for most of the posters here. I did that for 5 years until our marketing agent (good investment) opened my yes to the difference.

3. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

What was your usp??????

4. Team-Green L&L

Read the thread. Just to clarify the thread some. "Unique Selling Proposition" is a retail term. Our industry refers to USP as "Unique Service Provider" because sales is the groundwork to production, whereas in retail...production is the groundwork for sales.

5. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

How does this separate you from the others?? Lots of people on this site manage accounts.

6. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

What if I said mine was "Account Responsibility" How would that separate me from the others?????

7. Team-Green L&L

"Account Responsibility" tells me that you are planning on paying for my services. That's not it. We have account manageability tools that allow our clients to manage all their needs and accounts in many different formats. That is our USP.

When a client asks me "What makes you different" I explain our USP and close 85% of our leads that way. A USP can be very expensive or free. My friend owns a vinyl siding company and his USP is "seamless siding". Another friend owns a decking company and his USP is "hand-picked lumber". Can you see what I'm getting at now?

8. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to this USP, but would offering outdoor kitchen be one? assuming others didn't offer that?

9. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Seamless siding and hand picked lumber sound like slogans. Am I on the right track???

10. Team-Green L&L

I almost have to give up here, because no one is getting it:dizzy:

How many deck companies do you know that use "hand picked" lumber? They use whatever lumber is put on the truck because it takes a lot of time to hand-pick each board and inspect it.

Very few companies offer "seamless siding" today because of the material costs. That is why brick is back. Aluminum siding is seamless more often than vinyl.

Both these qualities make them "UNIQUE" and separate their services from the 1000 other contractor in our area. Thus, they have both grown at an alarming rate. It is not "that you can do it", it is "how do you do it better than the next guy". Are we getting somewhere?