What is your USP (Unque Selling Proposition)?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Josh.S, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

How about "Every Stone Is Placed As If It Was My Own"???????(We do allot of hardscaping)

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

ESP

Eviromental Stewardship Program

and

IPM

Xeriscape

3. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm starting to get this...but on that note I'm probably wrong. Our sales team at my company consists of 3 people. We meet every week for collective ideas and strategies to sell the leads we've quoted and close the leads we're working on. Our owner suggested we all write a "30- second commercial" that we could say when we meet a customer that sets us apart. These were mine. I'd like to edit these and add in a USP, but obviously am struggling. We use many products other companies don't, but none are actual USP's.

Attached Files:

4. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think what you have is closer to a repositioning statement.

If you are selling a service, it is very likely your prospect already has a vendor and it is not you. So you have to re-position from the current vendor.

I think things like a 30 year old family owned business. We live here and work here ( helps against nationals ) says something. If you have to, you can re-inforce that you would not have survived had you not had the highest of standards.

5. John Zaprala

John Zaprala LawnSite Senior Member

I definately use our family owned and operated business to our advantage. I'm wondering if I should take it a step furthur by saying we're growing and staying local. Or something along those lines, like we're commited to the community (we donate hardscaping and landscaping at least 3 times a year at 3 locations to local schools, churches and township buildings) So maybe saying we're giving back to the community. What do you think?

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Using your history with the community is a great ad point, but again...not a USP. I'm sure your company has one to be around for so long. The key is to figure out what it is.

Ask yourself "Why have we grown"
    "What do we offer the client"
    "What strengthens our structure within"

By figuring out the USP, you will be better at closing the deal because you will avoid jardon and hold the attention of the listener. Closing, with a USP statement, is as simple as knowing when to stop talking and start signing.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Realize people are not going to get to excited about spending money on their yard. What you need to do is get some emotional buy in based on how what you do that will make their lives better. Don't tell them how, just guide them and let them fill in the blanks. Their imagination is much better than any picture you could paint.

Here are some guidelines for creating your USP

Keep it short it should be a phrase not a sentence

Convey a positive feeling

Keep it vague let people use their imagination

Don't define your service as a commodity

Focus on the emotional gratification not features and benefits

Give it impact, a little punch.

Here are some examples of popular USP's

Avis "we try harder"
    Coke "its the real thing"
    Nike "just do it"

Hope this helps. Don't feel bad it is a hard one to grasp even with the guidelines.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know who to attach this quote to but someone mentioned it previously. If you have to tell someone why you are different, what sets you apart. Then I would contend you really are not that different.

Everyone claims to care and provide better service and so on.

If you are different they will see it from the start.

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

"Attention to the Details!!"

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

This is getting a little off thread but yes, you should do all of those things but don't make a script. You will find ways to get that into conversation.