What I've been up to.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I can't find my digital camera cable (argh!) so only a description will have to do.

I'm wrapping up a irrigation install on a older 3 acre property. 120 PGP's, 21 zones.

Biggest residential job I've done this year, and its turned out pretty nice. 8 days so far (me + 2 part time laborers), I'll be done on monday.

Everything PVC (1.25" mainline), everything plowed.

If I can find my cable, I'll post some pictures.

2. Dirty Water

Found my cable!

Heres a few pictures. The greener areas were watered by sprinklers and hose by the homeowner, the dead areas will be nice yard by next year. I only did the irrigation, So ignore the homeowner landscaping and the funky driveway border.

P1010049.JPG

3. Dirty Water

Another part of the yard.

P1010052.JPG

4. Dirty Water

All the drip tubing on the ground was buried by the homeowner. I plowed through it everywhere. I still need to repair it and rebury next week.

If you squint, you can see my truck.

P1010053.JPG

5. Dirty Water

Backyard, plus the machine that makes this all possible. I am convinced that the 410 is the cleanest of all plows.

p1010055.jpg

6. Dirty Water

Can you see the line I plowed in? The 410's sod precutter means that your plow lines look like this.

P1010058.JPG

7. Dirty Water

Typical valve box. You can't tell in the picture, but Its notched so its not resting on the pipe.

Rainbird DVF's with a 1.25" main. Wirenuts will be weatherproofed with a gelcap next week.

This one wasn't backfilled for a bit, so the sod died a little, but it will green up. I take pride in leaving the job as undamaged as possible.

p1010054.jpg

8. Dirty Water

Last picture! This is a work in progress manifold in the backyard. I don't usually do 4 valves in a box, but it just worked out really well to plow out to each zone from this spot.

This ones a little messy. The swing pipe is going off to automate the homeowner installed drip system. Don't worry, I tefloned the MPT x Barb fitting in off the valve :)

These pictures don't show the true size of this job. For a residential job, its big.

P1010057.JPG

9. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

I just finished off a huge residential, at least for the time being. The property is 5+ acres, mostly wooded but heavily landscaped. It started off as a total renovation of something like 6 zones in 2002. It wasn't an old system that I was renovating, though, as it had been installed in 2000 or so. Just total junk, ended up with 10 zones. Since then the landscape has been expanded all around the massive yard that used to be forest.

Last year we put in 2 zones of rotors to water sod along with 5 zones of mist heads for beds. They then decided to plant tons roses in all but one zone. We then got paid to convert to drip because they didn't like the petals getting watered.

This spring they unexpectedly paved the rest of the driveway and installed pavers with no sleeving. They did tons of damage to the system while working over the winter and if I remember, the startup+repairs were over $1000. 4 machine bores with sleeves pulled back and 2 difficult manual bores = somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300. We were supposed to come in on a T&M basis in early June to more than double the system in size, but the person who was acting as the GC (for friends, the owners) died and the owners' son took the job over. He immediately took issue with our bills and told me he'd pay it but we'd never work there again. He fired every contractor and brought in new ones, including a local bid-by-the-zone pain in my neck. He lasted there just long enough to screw everything up. He and the son didn't like the "huge" ICC that we installed last year, so he took it down and installed a 24-station ESP. He ran 1" mainline and not nearly enough wire through lots of areas that were then mulched, planted and sodded. He also used both sleeves that I installed everywhere, with seemingly unnecessary poly lines stuffed through them. The problem with that is that one was to be dedicated to the gate and security system. I was going to run complete pieces of poly for them to fish their wires through the beds and landscape obstacles. Of course, everything he installed (about 40 heads) was overspraying and over/underwatering. All fundamentally poor designs. It got the new stuff wet well enough for him to get paid, but was nowhere near prepared for the obvious and coming expansion.

Since I was originally brought there as a subcontractor, and since even the landscaper had always worked for the deceased GC, I thought I would never see the place again, but the homeowners themselves called a few weeks ago and asked me to come out. They let me know that they wanted me back. Soon enough the landscaper I subbed for there was also back. We tore a lot of stuff up and redid basically everything. Ran more wire, 1.5" mainline, put in additional valves and heads everywhere. Doubled the other guy's head count to achieve even watering over every inch that needed it. We also installed another 5 zones of mist heads and rotors for new grass, another drip zone along with expanding several other drip zones. And a new ICC, since the other one was "lost." It's now up to 32 zones with another probably 5 going in next year. Now it's time for me to figure out the bill.

10. DGI

DGI LawnSite Member
    from SE Mich

People regularly drop their jaw at how clean a 410's cuts are. Excellent selling tool.