What job do you give to a new worker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all ferris, Apr 26, 2005.

1. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

What job can a new worker (1st day on the job) do and be the most productive? I want him to learn but I also want to be productive.
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I have no experience with new workers, but we plan on starting our new workers this year on 21" trim mowers and/or the blower. Then we'll gradually teach them to string trim and eventually maybe even our 36" Metro. :cool:
  3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

If I owned a 21" mower I would do like you said.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Put him on the blower then after he has that down, teach him to edge. After a few weeks of edging and blowing he should be ready for the trimmer. Mower training should be done on a large property with no obstacles until he can get the feeling of using a heavy piece of equipment.
  5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I usually try to start them with something like blowing or trimming, but I've had a couple guys that ran a z first day but a few that even after a few weeks they couldn't trim or run a 21" without making a mess or missing something. It depends on the individual.
  6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming can be an art form and a lot of ppl don't expect as much power out of the unit as it can give. Blowing, Edging and 21" Trim Mowers are a good start.
  7. mikeyshane331

mikeyshane331 LawnSite Member

Well if you have to pick up anything in the yard, make them do that and blow, but if nothing to pick up, then i guess the 21 incher like they said.
  8. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

The new guy always got the edger and the blower when I worked for big companies.

ROCKYM LawnSite Member

Give them the edger and tell them its going to be theyre best friend for two weeks.After two weeks give them the weedeater till they have mastered that.The best guys on the mowers are the ones who have mastered the art of weedeating.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you let the new guy start off with the trimmer, you'll end up with some nasty looking lawns- they all think the head, not the actually string, is what trims, they run around with an inch of string sticking out, scorching yellow ring after yellow ring around all the trees and beds.

Let 'em try the walk behind at the shop, in the street or wherever, it's not that hard. They won't make nice stripes, but they should be able to cut all the grass (eventually). No steep hills or other difficult terrain at first, of course.