1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What jobs do you do in winter?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by c3bishop, Oct 18, 2007.

1. c3bishop

c3bishop LawnSite Member

Hi - I'm new here. I have a lawn business that is doing pretty well - I was able to do it full time this summer. However, now with winter around the corner, I need to make the same amount of money, but doing something else.

What do you do during winter? I've am scheduled for some small jobs here and there, but I feel guilty picking up anything full-time when I know I'll be quitting it in the spring. And I like working for myself. I'm relatively handy and pretty good with people.

Any thoughts? What does everyone else do during winter?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. AndyTblc

AndyTblc LawnSite Fanatic

You could try snowplowing.
  3. c3bishop

c3bishop LawnSite Member

I have considered it, but I don't have the equipment for it this year. Besides, it is too hit-or-miss with our winters. I need something a bit more steady. But thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated.
  4. M&R Specialty Lawns

M&R Specialty Lawns LawnSite Member

I would recommend looking into holiday decorating...its surprisingly a good service b/c home owners like the idea of not having the hassle of digging out the holiday decor, unwrapping the strands of lights with half of them not working and then putting them up and taking them down in below freezing temps...

Thats my suggestion, good luck to ya!!
  5. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

heating oil
  6. mbpenterprises

mbpenterprises LawnSite Member

Hey there! I want to get into the landscaping business and since winter is just around the corner and I'm located in Chicago I found out window cleaning is a pretty good source of income! You can rake leaves, clean windows for residential/business, christmas lighting, I'm even going to try and go around to do some snow shoveling, I dun need to do any crazy plow jobs yet.
  7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I would suggest thinking about your abilities and other services like lawn care. Mundane services that anyone can do but people don't like to do. (pressure washing, painting, mobile car wash / detailing, maid service (guys do it to) , window washer (cheap tools) , pinestraw / mulch for beds.
  8. Crusis

Crusis LawnSite Member

I was just talking to the guy up the street from me, he was telling me that he installs Christmas lighting. Not just tossing up a few cords, but hundreds of feet of wiring for his clients. He hires short term labor to do the jobs, and the bid includes putting it in place and taking it down. He said that he does several houses a day, and doing this he makes $2000 a day over a 35 day period.

I'm not sure if he was telling me tall tales, or if he's serious, but I'm pretty sure my mouth was hanging open. That's a lot of change in your pocket for 35 days.
  9. c3bishop

c3bishop LawnSite Member

I heard the same thing - I actually read up on it and am planning on doing that. According to what I read, you can make a huge amount during the season if you do it right. I wonder though if that is also depending on your demographics. :)

Thanks for all the input - it gave me some good ideas.
  10. SwihartServices

SwihartServices LawnSite Member

Check out ChristmasDecor.net if you interested in doing lights. There a Christmas light franchiser. They really have their act together. One of my customers told me that in order to have these guys just do the lighting on his roof and around two windows and two shrubs it was right around $1000. These guys really do make some good money. But, it's not like, "Hey Mrs. Jones, you want some lights this year?" It's super professional and organized. If there isn't a franchise in your area I would seriously consider it. The franchise fees and start up costs are fairly reasonable.