1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kills crabgrass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by venecular, Apr 9, 2004.

1. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have several bermuda yards and I do not know what will kill crabgrass as it is a big problem. I know that I can spread preemerge but what will kill it as it stands? Thanks
  2. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Drive is the best product out right now.
  3. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

I use MSMA for crabgrass control. But a good pre emergeny is the best place to start.
  4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I get pretty good bang for the buck with SP MSMA.
  5. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

Depends on your region. If your trying to kill it out of a warm season grass them msma is by far your best bet. It may take a few applications but it will get it. If its a cool season grass like kentucky blue then you should use drive 75. Its a lot more expensive than msma but it will kill the crabgrass in a matter of days.
  6. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up aboutDrive 75. Can it be used on fescues?
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Like PROT1, said, Drive is excellent - higher priced but control is great and no call backs which makes the extra money all the more worth it!
  8. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

Yes, Drive can be used on Fescues, not recommended for Bermuda as I recall, and it works better than anything I've used for crabgrass.You can literally seed the next day with no problems as well. It's well worth the money and the bottle will cover much sq footage
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Until recently, many considered Tupersan the only effective weed control option for creeping bentgrass, fescue, perennial ryegrass and Kentucky bluegrass seedlings However, Tupersan does not control broadleaf weeds and many problematic grasses Currently, one other herbicide is registered for turfgrass seeding, Drive® 75 DF herbicide According to Askew, Drive can be used at seeding of annual bluegrass, annual ryegrass, buffalograss, common bermudagrass, hybrid bermudagrass, perennial ryegrass, tall fescue and zoysiagrass To learn more about how to control broadleaf weeds, sedges and grassy weeds on young turfgrass, see: "," Shawn Askew, Grounds Maintenance, August 2003

My question is how much does Drive cost. I am having a hard time finding it in my area as none of the lawn and garden centers here carry it. There isnt a Lesco within a 100 miles. Havent seen it at Home Depot or wally world either.
  10. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I paid appr 110.00 for 1lb from my local Lesco
    Luscious Lawns
    I have had excellent results with Drive in lawns even without adding the sticker in our area
    To whom it may concern
    I was wrong about the Bermuda, It is acceptable for it but isn't acceptable for use on Bahia, St Aug, Dichondra,* FINE fescue, Carpetgrass, or Centipede
    Here are the acceptable grasses as follows:
    Ann Bluegrass
    Ann Rye
    Common Bermuda
    Creeping Bentgrass
    *Fine Fescue only if it's in a blend
    Hybrid Bermuda
    Kentucky Bluegrass
    Perennial Rye
    Tall Fescue
    The label also states can be used b4 seeding, at seeding,7,14, and 28 days after emergence