1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What kills Japanese Clover?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Jampinot, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Jampinot

Jampinot LawnSite Member

:confused:I need to know what herbicide I need to use to kill the Japanese Clover that has taken over several of my customers lawns. I fertilized with Scotts Summer Weed and Feed and killed the weeds with Weed Be Gone. I am a very small landscaper who manages many of the lawns in the area where I live. I also have a few customers who require that I only use organic products so if there is anything that isn't an herbicide I would like to know that too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you a licensed applicator?

3. Jampinot

Jampinot LawnSite Member

Sorry, I stumbled onto this site. I am a homeowner that also takes care of several senior citizens lawns as well as mine.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

If you're being compensated in any way by those other people, it's illegal for you to applicate without a license.

5. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Conan's Axe has swung and taken the head off--yet another helpless civillian!!!!

Jampinot,
    The market to which you are referring to is also covered in the pesticide division that is regulated by each State's Pesticide Application Division!
    Your State may not regulate the application of Fertilizers, but I can almost guarantee that herbicides will be restricted. Check with your state's regulatory board online and see what you need to apply for....!! Now--you customer can go and buy anything and apply anything they want from any retail giant. You, however--cannot apply these products for hire without being a licensed individual..
    Don't be misled by some responses on this site...........do the homework for yourself and best of all.........protect yourself from fines and more fines.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure we are talking about the same plant.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_clover

Your friends can use Ortho "Chickweed, Oxalis, and Clover killer". Repeat as needed.

The organic guys--well they just need an attitude adjustment--as a legume--clover is good for the soil and adds its own fertilizer, gradually enriching the soil. I suggest wine--a recent California vintage is good enough.

7. Jampinot

Jampinot LawnSite Member

I am not being compensated by the Senior's whose lawns I take care of unless cookies or brownies count. I am volunteering to help the Seniors who are on a fixed income in my neighborhood. I am disabled myself but I have a riding mower and I am able to spread fertilizer which I buy in bulk. Only one of my friends uses the Weed Be Gone and since they have Gout in their hands I am not going to make them hold the hose to apply it. There are also no plastic gloves that fit over his hand.

Is there a product available or are you only concerned that I am doing something illegal? I didn't know it was against the law to volunteer to help those who are elderly and can't afford to hire a professional to take care of their lawns.

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You have to be careful about pesticides, especailly in parts of Canada... don't get yourself in trouble for being a nice guy.

Granular weed controls are pretty ineffective. Spraying is the way to go.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is true. It doesn't necessarily have to be (for hire" or "for compensatioin", either. It is when t is done in the line of your work that it is regulated, as well.
    It's funny that you mention Japanese clover on this, the 64th anniversary. I know ONE thing that was successful in burning it right up!

10. Jampinot

Jampinot LawnSite Member

I am not being compensated monetarily and I only apply herbicides on own property and assist another disabled person. Don't worry, no one would drink our water anyway with all the floaties in it. I double filter my own!