What kind/how big of a trailer do you use or prefer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by brndn, Sep 28, 2011.

1. brndn

brndn LawnSite Member

I work for a John Deere/Stihl/Bushhog/Frontier dealer, and we are thinking of adding trailers to our lineup. My question to all of you, who do this for a living, is what kind of trailers do you all use? Single axle? Double axle? Ones with the drop down ramp, or ones with ramps held underneath? What about tilt trailers?

We want to not only sell them, but also do a package deal if you buy a mower/tractor.

I lurk this place all the time, and love it. You all are the ones that do this for a living, so I know I couldn't get a better answer than here. Thank you all!

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6x12 single axle. It does pretty much everything I need it to do but sometimes I wish it was bigger.

My next trailer will be 7x16 or longer dual axle and will have a gate/ramp on the curbside as well as the back.

3. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

Bri-mar 7x12 dual axle single pump 10k dump trailer. Fror a small crew it easily handles all our clean-up, material delivery needs and it tows my two Exmark Lazer z's. Barn door gates, ramps are stored underneath the trailer.
    Decking boards stained and poly'd make it look profesional while increasing capacity.

A package deal on a small loader and dump trailer sounds like a good idea to me! 10k like mine is on the light side imo if your planning on hauling alot of dirt or stone.

P6040404.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

I wish I lived closer to Texas, I would buy this trailer! I think this is the kind of trailer you might be looking for. Lots of options!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2011-77-x-1...97500779&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_2002wt_1270

I use a 7'x14' double axle trailer and a 5'x8' trailer.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it's gonna vary depending on how much equipment is used by the company...some people have crews of 3 people so they take 2 ztr mowers, maybe a walk behind mower, and such so they need a big trailer....some are solo like me and only need a 5x10 single axle trailer...all i tow on it is 1 ztr mower.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah those are sweet

7. brndn

brndn LawnSite Member

Awesome replies so far, guys. That's why I love this place!

What would you change about your current setups if you could change anything? For example, jwsland, do you like your barn doors on the back?

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Depends what your doing i suppose. i used to own a heavy dual axle 16 foot equipment trailer, When gas jumped upto almost 5 bucks a gallon years ago we sold the 16 footer and got a lighter single axle 14 footer to tow a 60 inch z-mower and a walkbehind around. Worked well and really helped save a few bucks at the pump.

Used it for a year or so and got sick of needing more room so we upgraded to an 18 foot Big tex, Even the 18 footer seems cramped at times and would be nice to have a few more feet, Next trailer will likely be a 20 footer.

We run a 60 inch walkbehind, and 2 60 inch z-mowers on the trailer all summer. With all of them stacked up and packed tight the trailer is completely full and just barely closes the gate by a few inches.
    [​IMG]

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are two trailers that make up the overwhelming majority of trailers that I've seen in 17 years of providing lawn services. The 12 foot single axle and the 16 foot tandem axle. I'd be willing to guess that these 2 trailers make up about 95% of the lawn care operators market for trailers.

10. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02 LawnSite Member

I have a 5'x10'. I wish it was bigger. I should have got the 7'x12'.

I would really like a dump trailer, but the added cost is not really justifiable.