What kind of advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JeffG, Oct 30, 2002.

1. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

What do you think best - local newspaper or yellow pages?
    What about mailers/flyers?

Jeff:(

2. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

For what service?

We have yellow page ad for all services.

Lawn Maintenance/irrigation/design/installation.

And we get probably 5-6 phone calls from a phone book of a very small town...say no more than 15k people

Havent tried the newspaper.

Just depends on what you are offering i suppose.

Most of the calls we get out of phone book are for design/installation of landscapes.

3. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

5-6 a month....sorry...

4. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

Sorry, it's for lawn care - mowing, trimming etc.

Jeff

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My listing comes out in the yellow pages this November, so I can't comment on the results. I am paying $50 a month for 10 months for a 1" ad in one category, and a 2" ad in another. I have pretty good results in the service directory for add-on services. Service directory is not good for mowing, unless you're in a small town, because you will get many calls for areas off your main route.

MATT

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have had great luck with the newspaper. In the classified part of my local paper they have a section for service listings. Anything from painting to lawncare or roofing. I run an ad in the spring and then one in the fall when the leaves start falling. I got about 35 new regular customers this year as a result of the ad. I do not have a yellow page ad but from what I have heard if you don't have name recognition people will look at the largest ad and those can be costly.

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

This might be the most asked question on LS.

Use that search function and take your shoes off... you're gonna be here a while!:D