What kind of Aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I want to get an Aerator in the next couple of days. I am either going to get a pull behind agri-fab or a JCOR for the front of my Lazer Z. What do you guys think is better out of these two? Has anyone used the JCOR ones? How do they do?

Thanks,

Adam

2. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The Agrifab ones are pretty cheap. From what I have seen of them (Depot and Lowes) they wouldn't last comercially. I was looking for an inexpencive one myself a while back and these guys came up when I searched a bit on this site (look at their series 2).

http://www.turfvent.com/

The JRCO unit I don't think pulls a conventional plug from what I can see. Maybe someone here has used one though..

Lesco has the Clausen unit that is really sturdy if your budget will allow it.

Can't comment on pulling it with the Lazer. I konw they don't recommend that you tow much with thier Z's but others have commented that they have w/o any major damage to the hydros.
    -TAZ

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have an agri fab pb and it does fair, main thing it has 6 aerating tines for a 48'' width and it would do a better job if it had 8 like the more exspensive ones.

I have asked about the JRCO and the response I got back was it didnt penetrate the turf very well and there isnt a way to add weight to it to make it.

With my agri-fab ,I aerate the yard in one direction and then turn and cross it the other way. Example from east to west then turn and aerate north to south, to get good coverage

wayne

4. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

That's what i was going to do. I was told by the fertilizer company that that's what they do. I will probably only do 10 yards a year, and have about 4 set up for this year. So that's what i will go with. I think the JRCO would get confusing with it being 38" on my 60" lazer. So would the agrifab which is why i am using my neighbors deere.

Thanks,

adam

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you go over the lawn twice with the agrifab thing, it is STILL like doing half of the job with a real one. Same goes for the JRCO thing. Now, if you want to spend half the afernoon going over and over and over the yard, it may do something. Like I say, It doesn't do even CLOSE to a real one. Even the professional models need to be doubled to actually do the aeration at the recommended rate of holes per sq. ft..

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Good info Joe, not trying to be a smarty guy, but Im learning also and how many holes per sq yard or feet are needed or desired?. I bought my ole agri- fab years and years ago and that is one piece of equipment I hope to up-grade next year.

wayne

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Turfco.com and look at the TM-42 tow type aerator. It is great with Z type mowers. Also it has coring tines with a true 6 holes in every sq ft. You can order them direct on line or by phone. The tongue is extended so you will not hook the aerator in tight turns either. Also the tine wheels are mounted in pairs so you can turn without tearing. It is a true Commercial aerator. The number of holes you make per sq foot and the depth is how you determine quality in aeration so if you get a unit that just makes 2 or 3 holes per sq ft you ain't doing much but burning gas.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And even 6 is definitely on the light side. 12 holes per sq. ft. is a good start, and up to 20 holes can even be done effectively for extreme conditions.

9. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

With aeration the more holes the better. Turf Specalists will tell you 9 per sq is a min number and 2 inches deep is needed. The more the better Some golf aerators like the Ryan GA 2 will do 32 per foot..Home lawns if your getting over 12 you are doing good. Also if you use a rolling aerator they make an X movement under the soil and fracture the soil better than pistion type machines. This fracturing is good for the loosening the soil.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This so true and another excellent point. When cores are taken out with the cam type of aerator, this causes glazing. Two things; the hole stays open longer and it takes the soil itself longer to expand and soften (from the holes closing), but what's more so, is that the fracturing of the ground tears and displaces more root system. While SOUNDING like a bad thing, it's actually beneficial to the long term health as more root system can then grow easier. Incidentally, the Turfco unit is one of the well built professional units that extract a higher than average amount of plugs. I've never ran one before, but got to see one up close, and it sure appears to be a well built machine.