1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of aerators and lawn power rakes do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jul 26, 2002.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

What do you use I've been trying to decide between Bluebird, Ryan, and Classen.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 Bluebird aerators -- a tow behind and a walk behind.

You may want to get a hold of 65hoss and let him give you his pitch on an aerator made by Plugr.
  3. I have a
    Ryan 4 aerator - on my 3rd
    Blue Bird lawn comber - same machine used 9 seasons

I've looked at all 3 aerators and they seem to be very similar in quality and operation.
    weak point on the ryan is the throttle linkage, carry an extra
    on classen that split dive looks handy
    BB aerators have better bearing and speed control than ryan
    Ryan has had excellent resale value in my area-I buy them for 17-1800, use for 3-4 years and can sell for 1200. very low maint and operation $

My blue bird PR has been so reliable I believe it will outlast me-
    less than $100 in maint. untill this year when I replaced engine

If you can spend the 3k take a look at the plugr, thats what I want next time.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own 2 Rocksolid Plugr comm'l models. They have been great. They use a cam system to drive the tines into the ground. It doesn't need weight to push the tines in. Plugr's are easy to operate. After a day of aerating your not beat up. Its just like walking behind a 21" self propelled mower all day. It manuvers around landscaping and trees with ease. I sell my customers quality not speed. If your looking for all out speed this isn't it. If you want to sell quality this is the machine to look at.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Classen which is same as Lesco pull behind 3 point model plugger. Good money maker. Got it from CaptDevo. Great dealer.

Whatever you choose get to him first. Unbelievable service and we are many miles apart.

My Walker mower is my comber. Not a true dethatcher in the flail mowing sence but it is what my customers demand. If you have a true thatch problem you need a wb. I haven't had much experience with them.
  6. anthony

anthony Guest