What kind of blades or Mulch kit do most of you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I have Scag tigger cub 48''. I cut mainly residential/small commercial. I don't want to bag it. i just what to know what kind of blades do most of you use?
    Or sould i just get a mulching kit?
    I just want to here it from people on the feild rather then hering it from salemen.

2. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We use mulch systems. We bag with smaller mowers.

Do all the neigbors get bagged? You don't want to bag....what? I mean what type of grass..mostly? Cool season fescues? How often are you visiting these accounts? What is the HP of that scag?

I ask because different grass types have different textures, cut and clean up differently and how often you visit will be a factor in how much clippings/mulch you will have to handle. Mulching will decrease your HP and your cutting speed a bit, but you could make up for this productivity by not having to bag, handle clippings or manage side discharge.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I use a bolt on mulching kit with gators, does a fantastic job. Anything is better than bagging.

4. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Do all the neigbors get bagged? You don't want to bag....what? I mean what type of grass..mostly? Cool season fescues? How often are you visiting these accounts? What is the HP of that scag?

I ask because different grass types have different textures, cut and clean up differently and how often you visit will be a factor in how much clippings/mulch you will have to handle. Mulching will decrease your HP and your cutting speed a bit, but you could make up for this productivity by not having to bag, handle clippings or manage side discharge.

I am Kansas city area, must of my clients has fescues/tall fescues.
    i mow weekly for each client.
    i have 2004 tigger cub 19hp.
    my biggest problem is when it rains for 3-4days passed cutting date. the grass is so tall, and if i don't bag it looks messy.

when you bag, doyou charge extra?

5. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

Ive got a Mulch plate w/ a full baffle on it w/ gators. Is that cosidered a mulch kit? If not what am I missing?

6. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Gator blades with my special added touch..nothing cuts better and NO bagging.

Besides, mulching is good for the lawn..the smaller the pieces the quicker it cycles back into the lawn.

I feel good ( sing it guys ) :cool2:

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use Raptor blades and factory mulch kits..

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have two Scag Tiger Cubs, both are 48/19 kawasaki's. One is a 2003 the other is a 2004. We side discharge most of the year but bought a mulch kit for the 2003 for mulching leaves. There is a lot of blowout with the mulching kit and it creates a lot of dust. There is so much dust it get all in your eyes and covers your clothing and the air filter gets very dirty. If you have an 2004 model Scag there is a new mulch kit for all 2004 and newer mowers, we have not used it but there appears to be some changes. We run hi-lift mulching blades year around, they leave the best cut on our properties. Trimmer Trap sells a mulching plate that we might try this year. The Scag mulching kit has a lot of bolts and takes time to put on. If it is wet it tends to clump real bad and if you have yards that are weedy it will not leave a good cut. The mulch kit does good mulching grass with real sharp blades but there is a lot of blowout mulching leaves.

9. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Thanks to all for the input.

Best on the block lawn care