What kind of business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2Sam2233, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 2Sam2233

2Sam2233 LawnSite Member

Hellow fellers,
    I really enjoy all the discussions on the site. However, I have some questions. I keep reading about year-round programs, fertilization programs, soil tests, aeration, dethatching, and all the many other tasks that can be done for lawn care service, and I am wondering what kind of clients are most of these? Example, are they corporate offices, bank blds, middle class residential, high class residential, subdivisions, rural homes, or what? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what types of customers I should be targeting to increase my number of accts and profitability. I'm in a great location. I have 2 major cities within 30-40 miles, and a half dozen or so good size towns within 10-15 minutes of my house. Thanks for any and ALL your responses.

Just trying to make a go of it. Selling insurance ain't my thang.

2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"and I am wondering what kind of clients are most of these? Example, are they corporate offices, bank blds, middle class residential, high class residential, subdivisions, rural homes, or what?"

Yes.

Try to keep routes close together. Traveling 30-40 miles to do work will really cut into the profits. Work on getting that closer work you mention. Good luck.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike- I agree with BRL. However, this is my eighth year in business and I've begun to steer away from the commercial work. They're just too focused on bottom line and I can't compete on price with the guys around here, even large scale companies. I focus on middle and upper class residential homeowners that appreciate quality work, and are willing to pay for it. Even if the property isn't the nicest on the block, if the client is willing to pay, I go for it. Anyway, just my opinion. After a few years, I believe you will find a niche you are comfortable with. Good luck, Mike