what kind of engine should i use as a replacement on my jacobsen rider?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

i have a jacobsen rear engine rider and i was wondering what kind of engine i should put on it, after the old one bites the dust.

2. Robert Doubrava

the engine that's on it is the briggs 7 hp, which some of you have already read about.

3. Robert Doubrava

i appreciate any opinions.

4. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Robert Doubrava

i found a good 8 horse briggs for 409.99. it has a muffler, gas tank, and a recoil starter.:blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I noticed you have 3 posts in a row in 9 minutes on just this thread alone. Instead of posting each 3 minutes, you can edit one of your posts and add to it instead of starting so many. You now have 30 posts in 1 day and some posts are just asking for our opinion. We already know this is what you want. Get your post all written and then sit back and wait for someone to answer it. If all 4545 members wrote 30 posts a day, we would run out of room on the internet in a few days. ;)

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

351M Windsor laying around it should have enough power for your mower.

8. Robert Doubrava

Ok guys. Time to "revive" this thread. LOL. I was wondering, is it worth it to put an oversize piston and ring set in my old 7HP B&S? I want to try to keep the whole mower and restore it somehow. That engine's cylinder bore is so worn out, every time I give it the gas it smokes like a bug fogger!!! Any suggestions?????????:)

9. shadetree

shadetree LawnSite Member

If you do overhaul your old B&S, please, please be sure you take it to a well know machine shop that deals in small engine.
    I bet you will find that the cylinder will need to be borded and the crank will need to be turned.
    If these steps are not taken, all you will do is throw good money down the drain if you just re-ring it.

10. Rick Pilgrim

Rick Pilgrim LawnSite Member

My luck rebuilding:B&S aluminum bore motors is about the same as finding that 5 mill lottery winning ticket on the street in front of my house-It just doesn't go right either way. I talked with a B&S rep a few years back and he said after they hone the bore they spray it with some coating. If your trying to keep it original have you looked for a short block? If nothing else,An 8hp B&S uses the same shroud, carb,starter muffler so you at least can make it look right.