1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of freebies did you get?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by yardworkslawncare, Jun 25, 2008.

1. yardworkslawncare

yardworkslawncare LawnSite Member

Just seeing what kind of goodies the dealers thru in when you made your purchase. Hat, T-Shirt, bucket....

The rest of the question,

What are your thoughts if you were promised by the salesman that he would "load the cab with free s#$t" You even gave him copies of the competitions quotes by request and he said he would get you some cat gear?
    You take delivery of your new machine and dont even get a free pen. You half heartly give him crap saying where's the freebies.... and still get nothing. The guy is a nice guy, your buddie is in the process of signing paper work on a new machine off of your referral to the same salesman

Do you flame him on this site?
    Do you talk to his boss?
    Do you email him a link to this thread?
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you are upset about not getting a few hats or t-shirts....While its nice to get the occasional freebie, it would never be enough for me to rat the guy out to his boss or flame on an interment site of $20 worth of Tee's. If you really want to advertise the kin dof equipment you own, buy shirt or a hat...

Its possible that the sales guys is waiting until you friend inks the deal and hands over the cash before giving you a real "thank-you"

Also have to remember, "those who can, DO, those who can't, SELL" I have had my share of bad sales guys, and have had a few great ones. The great ones, may not ever give you any free stuff, but when you need them they come. I was in a bind and needed to buy a chain saw. I called the sales guy at a rental place I deal with, within an hour I had a Stihl delivered to my office.

Alse have to remember that maybe the free chit comes out of his commission...
  3. yardworkslawncare

yardworkslawncare LawnSite Member

Not necessalry upset, or even worked up. I will continue to wear my komatsu hat in there when I pick up my rentals. Like you say, he may even help in the future when I really need something. Just the thought that he called me asking for copies of my other quotes and would "hook me up with some cat gear".

Back to my first question Marc, what did you get?
  4. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

"Freebies" used to conme out of my pocket at the Bobcat dealership.

MarcSmith you are correct about good and bad salesmen. I made it my business to be genuinely concerned about my customer's business, and not just another sales hack trying to pedal iron.
  5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

It does not matter whether a man is a salesman or ceo of a fortune 500 company or a street corner panhandler.......words are cheap, watch for the guy who's words match his actions and he has follow through on whatever he says.......you ask what do you do? My answer would be "nothing"........just make a mental note and see if this guy blows alot of hot air up your skirt or whether he is the real deal and follows through.......you will get alot more out of this experience by observing human nature and sifting through the bad guys until you find the good guys, and that is worth alot more than a t-shirt or baseball cap......
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Marc, I can see where he'd be a little miffed at the sales guy, I mean he just dropped some serious money on a new piece of iron. I got 2 free hat's (after signing the paper work) for only spending a little over $5K on a mower. Hell, I got a free CAT hat when I met with a rep to inquire about a min ex demo.
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I bought 8 bobcats and a list of attachments so long I can't remember all of them over the last 11 years at my dealer. I never got anything but a hat. The dealer has been there, though, when I needed help and needed an attachment fixed real quick or a loaner while my attachment was down for the count. Free stuff is always nice but actions mean more than apparel.
    Having a dealer that is genuinely concerned about me and my family business is the most important thing. The free stuff is nice but I figure the more of that they give away the more I will pay for my equipment.
    I already hate paying all the stupid TAXES that Texas and San Antonio add to my machine. I'm mad. But that's another story!:angry:
  8. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

If the dealer can afford to toss in a cab full of goodies you paid too much for your iron. Just remember the old addage, "no such thing as a free lunch"
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I got a free C series gloves, really nice ones too, a sweet ass wrist watch that isn't even on their merchandise site and a big tub of KY Jelly, just in case I get bent over like I was with the Bobcat.
  10. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Tell you what I got when I bought my used ASV RC50 from a Bobcat dealer.

FREE Cold shoulder. FREE Non-existant customer Support. FREE a big bag of nothing.

Screw Bobcat.