What kind of gas can do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I've been using old Rubbermaid/Gott 2.5 gallon cans for years and until a week ago, was happy with them...but then I lost one of the caps that goes on the end of the nozzle.

I went to Wal-mart yesterday to find a replacement and found they don't make those anymore. I did see the Blitz cans that claim to be spill-proof, though. After reading some comments at another forum, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

So, what kind of cans does everyone use for their 2-cycle equipment? And does anone have a spare endcap? :)

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

They used to make replacement caps for the old Rubermaids. If you can't find any go to a hardware store and get an old fashioned cork. That's what a friend of mine does.

3. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Yeah, I bought a replacement cap something like four years ago when the last one was lost.

4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use the blitz ones and I like them pretty well. I know they are spill proof because they fall over all the time after I fill them and put them in my truck bed. I filled my 4 5 gallong ones the other day and just sat them in the bed and two of them fell over because I didn't secure them at all. They didn't leak at all though.

I have the following ones and recommend them.

2x 1 Gallon
    3x 2.5 Gallon
    4x 5 Gallon

-Nick Howard

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i switched all my crews the heavy metal blitz cans... no more spills and it helps keep all the dust and crap outta the tanks when the guys are blowing.. ive also heard rumors that the plastic cans are outlawed in NJ for travel but i never researched it..

6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

About how much are they, the 5 gal ones?

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I still have a couple of old style Craftsman / Sears cans, before they made the switch, those were the best ever made, sure wished I had bought more of them at the time.

9. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

Blitz are crap. I have some of those caps if they are the black ones that are about 1 1/4 " in diameter. I don't use them anymore. Let me know if you want some.

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 6.5 gallon gas can but its too fricken heavy I only fill it half way. lol.

This new gas can has a breather on the spout so you don't need to take off the little yellow cap at the back.