What kind of grass do I have?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cdsang, Feb 27, 2006.

1. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

The type of grass I have is strange. I talked to an LCO and he doesn't know what it is. This grass is green in the spring and summer,brown in the winter. It spreads more and more each year on its own.No other grass seems to be in it so it seems it takes over any kind of grass it seems. It doesn't grow as fast as normal grass but in the summer can still be cut once a week. Each blade grows very close to each other. It doesn't have a big problem with drought. I did notice however, if I didn't water it, it would turn brown during the fall and turn green when waterd. It feels easy to take care of and feels very soft to walk on in the summer with bare feet. I have gotten stronger so its not a problem now, but when I starting mowing with my old 22 inch, it was little hard to push threw it being so thick. It doesn't look like a weed to me, it looks like normal grass. O and when I got my John Deere JX 75, it striped very well in this grass compared to the other 100 grasses in my yard. It doesn't look like string grass because its to thin. It is wider then rye from what I have seen. I grew some rye grass at a golf course in the approch and tees so thats how I know. I hope this is enought info to tell. Thank you in advance

CD

2. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

I just took a quick look at it and noticed when its brown, its very thin. It seems thinner then a toothpick. It being so cold I don't get to look that close at it. I guess I just forgot it was that thin. Again, thank you advance.

CD

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

probably some sort of zoysia, wild bermuda or maybe a blue grass. fescue will stay green through the winter...

4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

5. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

Well, the main reason I want to know is because I want to have one type of grass in the whole yard. I do have alot of trees but where this grass is there are no trees. It seems to be growing that way, but it hasn't gone far enought to tell. I was thinking of trying to get a PH test and change it over time if needed and when fall comes, aerate and seed the whole yard with something like fecue or whatever that type of grass is if its good in shade. I was also wondering. If you keep aerateing and seeding annually the whole yard with the same seeds, would if take over the grass already there, or do certain grasses do this? I am the yard guy yet my yard looks terrible.its actually annoying. Althought, the yard looks 10 times better then it did with all the bare spots it had when we moved in. I realize its alot of work. I don't mind yard working, but I don't exactly have a big bugdet. I do plan on buying a lawn tractor. Something like a John Deere X320 or if I can streach it,new X500thats comming out this year and not to be confused with the new X700 or old X500 series. I don't mind buying seed and fertilzer and I am not afraid of getting dirty and do it the hard way if needed. Sorry, I know this is alot at once. Thank you for you answers so far and thank you in advance.

CD

6. gqnine44

Well then around August 1st I would kill the whole lawn with Roundup. Then wait a week or so to be sure you killed it all and then sliceseed with a quality seed add some starter fertilizer and keep moist until germination. Then water it heavily once a week and your in business.

7. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

ok, I got some pictures but I don't see how to put them in. Someone help me on this?

8. cdsang

cdsang LawnSite Member

I think I got it. Well I took 2 pictures but for some reason only lets me put up one. O well. I hope this works.

grasspic1.jpg

9. gqnine44

I've never been to Deleware but that looks like Nimblewill from that view and your description. The only way to deal with it is to kill it with nonselective herbicide. But really, no matter what it is, the only way to deal with it is with nonselective herbicide.

Check this page out and see what you think:
    http://www.turfweeds.net/plant.php?do=view&batch=8&id=32

Anybody else have any other ideas on what it might be?

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

It sort of sounds like bermuda....which is 95% of what us Okies have 'round here....do you northern boys (and girls) get bermuda in your area?