1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what kind of grass is this?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by supper_slash, Aug 29, 2005.

1. supper_slash

supper_slash LawnSite Member

I have a patch of it in my lawn, and i like it, but i don't know what kind it is.
    Please let me know.

2. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

hard to tell from the pick but it looks like carpetgrass. it is what i have in my yard and i like it as well. id rather have centipede but this is a pretty low maintenance grass to me
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes i think that is called carpet grass, or at least thats what others around here have called it
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Can't tell from the pic. But it looks like you need to sharpen your mower blades.
  5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

St. Augustine
  6. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Yes it is St. Augustine which has come to be known by many in recent years as carpet grass.

It is indeed very important with this grass to keep sharp mower blades. If they are not sharp it tears the grass as seen in the picture and it is very unhealthy for it, not to mention that it keeps it from having the rich green color.

This is all just personal opinion, but as a Texan I think that St. Augustine is the BEST of all lawns. My maternal Grandmother lived in a little Central Texas town named San Saba. The soil conditions are perfect for St. Augustine and Pecan trees. St. Augustine covers even the vacant lots in San Saba. It makes for a very charming little town.

Be warned that St. Augustine is prone to a disease called, of all things, St. Augustine Decline or SAD. It also is often taken over this time of year by Army Worms.

If you like it, and I totally understand why you do, do some research and find out what spray programs there might be to prevent SAD and Army Worm infestation.

Also, if you like it, it is easy to propogate throughout the rest of your lawn in two ways. You can simply cut a few runners and make a little cut in the wet ground with your finger, put the cut end of the runner in the wet soil and cover it over with wet soil and water it. It will take root and go.

You also can just dig up small pieces about 5" or 6" square and plant them in the ground in areas where you want it to spread.

With a little care you can have the most beautiful lawn in town IMHO.

Good luck with it,
  7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, but you forgot the worst thing that can happen to st augustine. Chinch bugs. Figure out how to see them, know that it is them, then buy some talstar and be ready. These bugs can eat your whole yard in a few weeks.