1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of grass is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Jul 25, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the grass I was talking about awhile ago, it is extremely hard to cut and looks like strands of hair when cut.

DSCN0028.jpg

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

u sure that's grass ?

Looks like weed to me....

if it turns to "hair" your baldes may need sharpening

3. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

looks like celery

4. BCLawns

BCLawns LawnSite Member

Celery grass of the green variety.

5. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

It may be a weed, but looks like grass before its cut? There is just a few clumps of this in a few yards of mine, and it is usually around edges of walks and driveways, it looks just like strands of hair after its cut?!!! Even holding the trimmer right on it at full power, it is still hard to chop it off! Ive only seen it in about 3-4 yards, and not much of it, thankfully! I have looked up different types of grasses and weeds, and nothing looks anything like it? I shouldve put something next to it for size, but the length is about 4-5"

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

More than likely crab grass, you get the hair like strands because of how tough it is.

7. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

looks and sounds like crabgrass to me

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It's not Crabgrass, but is another weedy grass similar to growth cycle as crabgrass.

If I can think of the name I'll post it in the morning.

9. scagmanjosh

scagmanjosh LawnSite Member

Whats the diff. between this and bahia? From pics Ive seen and what Ive been told about the bahia in my own lawn, this looks a lot like it. Slim, tall, pointy blades, in sparse patches. Field grass.

The super-frayed tops seem a bit extreme though. The (supposed) bahia in my back lawn frays a bit when cut, but nothing like this. This is terrible.

Whats tougher to cut? Bahia or Crabgrass? Whats the main differences between the two?

10. Grubrunner

Grubrunner LawnSite Member

My wife eats Alfalfa Sprout Salad regularly....