What kind of grass is this?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Randy G., Jun 9, 2012.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. LawnSite Member

Looks sort of like St augustine to me but, dont really know. It started growing on the drain field mound of my septic system. Its starting to pop up all over the yard in patches. Which is good because everything else is just weeds. This stuff is thick and looks great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Randy G.

Randy G. LawnSite Member

Another shot of a singlr stem of it.

[​IMG]

3. Torpedo grass
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Randy G.

Randy G. LawnSite Member

Torpedo grass huh. Well, is that a bad thing? Seems to be making a real nice turf to me.

5. Wellif your looking to fill in areas of an already weedy lawn, I guess not. It's a pita if it gets in st. Augustine or zoysia as far as eradicating it. Having said that, it blends in quite well with empire zoysia and doesn't look that bad in st Augustine. It's not invasive like crabgrass.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Randy G.

Randy G. LawnSite Member

So far its the only thing out in my back yard that even looks like grass. My back yard is about an acre in size. It was woods until about a year ago, cut all the pines off. Took a dozer pushed up all the stumps, the gall berrys and palmettos.

7. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Defo torpedo grass and I suspect you will get use to it pretty quick since you will never be able to get rid of it.
    easy-lift guy

8. Randy G.

Randy G. LawnSite Member

I dont want to get rid of it. It looks nice. Am I crazy?

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

No, if you happy that is fine by me. It will be there long after you and I are gone. If you ever decide on anything else that will be another story.
    easy-lift guy

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know, have you been smoking it? :cool:

It won't look that nice when it dominates the lawn.