What kind of grass/weed is this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ron95gt, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Ron95gt

Ron95gt LawnSite Member

I've been plugging St. Augustine into the yard, and it actually looks like this ever widening circle of whatever is getting the best of the St. "A".
    Can anybody name it?
    Also, a "scissors, rock, paper" kind of question.
    If I put St. "A" in a yard of bermuda, which would push the other one out?
    Same question for Zenith Zoysia.
    Heck, if all 3 were thrown together, which would come out on top, then second place, and which doesn't have a chance? Thanks.

100_1714.jpg

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sir, someone else may correct me but I think you will need to take a closer up picture as I can not tell from the distance, thou the clarity is good. About the only thing I can think of is crabgrass has been taking over in my neck of the woods, which is in virginia... But clover has been going right nice too, just clover is a lot easier to control than crabgrass... Still, as a far-fetched guess, I'm saying it could be crabgrass but unless someone answers the question, see if perhaps you can get a close up picture.

To expand your rock paper scissors question, I'd like to know what fescue will conquer :)

3. Ron95gt

Ron95gt LawnSite Member

Yeah, I tried to get a pic of the whole patch, then had to shrink it to fit it on here. I'll try again, if nobody can tell from that distance. My bad.

4. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

it looks like crabgrass mixes in with goose grass/horse grass. Crab has a red tint on the edge sometimes and the blades are flat and it tries to lay flat. The goose grass is wider and looks like baby corn when it starts and is very wide. Drive will kill the crabgrass but its 100 bucks for a 1 pound bottle and nothing but roundup will kill the goose grass may also known as quack grass but with out seeing it upclose this is just an educated guess from a guy who fertilizes 350 yards every 8 weeks.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I need a closer pic. It looks like a fine bladed grass like Zoysia or Burmuda. Probably Zoysia since it appears to be very bright green. Burmuda tends to be a little more "off" color green. How does it feel when you walk over it? Is it spongy or firm?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, drive is 100 bucks (actually it was 90 last time I checked but it may have gone up, either way it's a lot), but you mix it at a rate of .1 ounce / gallon which means you get over 100 gallons of solution out of the deal so it adds out to around $1 / gallon, no worse than round up in the end and you can buy smaller amounts (like an ounce) but the price for one ounce is a lot higher than a pound when figured per ounce. Technically, I think the way they figured it is a pound of drive, you just dump the whole bottle into a 150-gallon tank of water and you're done (other than the surfactant), the instructions aren't exactly very 2.5 gallon sprayer friendly, to say the least, the only thing it tells you is x-ounces / 1,000 square feet so it is a royal pita to figure it out you need about a college degree lol.