What kind of GRASS?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnbridge, Mar 21, 2007.

1. lawnbridge

lawnbridge LawnSite Member

What type of grass would you suggest for a backyard with limited sunlight and 2 dogs. My area of Texas can grow fescue, bermuda, st. augustine, Zoysia. I know with the dogs peeing on the fescue will kill it. Any thoughts other than getting rid of the dogs would be appreciated.

2. ArmandoR

ArmandoR LawnSite Member

I am kind of in the same situation only one dog and in TN

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Bermuda would be my choice because it recovers more rapidly than other turfgrasses , but it requires more care , like fertilization and aeration. It would be hard to accurately answer your question without seeing the area and your dogs , for that matter - big dogs , inside part of the time or outside all the time , how big is the yard , etc, You must also understand that shade is a major issue when growing turf grass - no grass will grow in full shade . So with dogs and a shade issue , it could be difficult to achieve healthy turf. If your area has a county extension agent , have them come and assess your situation - its free advice.

4. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

IMO you should stick with a mulch cover then if you have shade and dog issues. BTW it is female dog urine that will cause dessication in turf grass.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Astro-turf