1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what kind of GREASE to use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gonna.cut.grass, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gonna.cut.grass

gonna.cut.grass LawnSite Member

is this the grease forum ?
    I am trying to buy the right grease for this ZTR
    The owner manual is calling for the following type of grease:

use "CHASSIS GREASE" for:
    Caster wheel pivot,
    Wheel bearings,
    Brake actuator,
    Cutter deck
    Cutter deck pusharms,
    Control pivot,
    Brake handle.

use " LITHIUM MP WHITE GREASE 2125" for:
    Cutter deck spindle

1. what exactly is MP WHITE GREASE 2125 (what am I looking for when buying ?)
    2.what happens if I use "MP WHITE GREASE 2125" instead of the "CHASSIS GREASE" ( do I have to buy two different types of grease here?)
    3. are they making this more complicated than it really is?
    anyone with grease knowledge?
  2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

i just use the lucas "red and tacky" grease.

but then again i'm no mechanic.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Lithium based grease is white and can be found in any automotive store. Walmart carries it as well. It will not hurt if you use lithium based on all of the machine but you will cause premature failure of the spindles by using chassis grease on them. The tube will say lithium grease on it.
  4. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Just curious. Why will lithium grease cause premature spindle failure? It is typically used for both chassis and bearing grease on trucks and autos.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I use one grease, supertech from walmart. :)
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I believe it would be due to Heat tolerance, white lithium has a higher temperature range than the black grease.

Also, use SYNTHETIC (blend is cheaper but at least get that) for the 9-spline couplers (the two zircs come out either side of the tranny on a gear-drive wb) and for the belt-guide zircs under the deck - Basically, it says to use a synth on any of those that require greasing ONLY every 100 hours, is the best way.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

You need to use any type of "high temp." grease usually its automotive wheel bearing grease. :waving:
  8. gonna.cut.grass

gonna.cut.grass LawnSite Member

correct me if i am wrong,
    I believe lawnmanic883 is saying you can use lithium grease instead of chassis grease but make sure you don't use chassis grease on the spindles.

is that right?