1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what kind of grinder should be bought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wowmowwow, Jan 4, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

just looking at northern tool and they have the $69.00 table grinder, then they have the $150 one or so and last the "lawn mower blade sharpener" for $299. which one should be bought? and why
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You can really go either way. I have a Dewalt grinder that I use regularly, but I have a blade-specific grinder that I use as well. I think it is a RGB. The table grinder is more for sharpening small things whereas the blade grinder has a platform for the blades to sit & get sharpened more evenly.
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Its just a matter of preference, it is easier to keep the factory angle with the grinder designed for mower blades, but it really isn't that hard to do a good job with a bench grinder either. I use a bench grinder for my mowers as well as all the rotory blades I sharpen at the golf course. Keep in mind that the bench grinder is very versatile and can be used for a wide variety of grinding applications, while the mower blade shapener will pretty much only do mower blades.

Either way make sure your blades are balanced after sharpening.
  4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

ok so would you change the coarse of the stone?
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a 4" angle grinder that works pretty good. But I prefer the bench grinder at my station. Seems easier to sharpen with a bench grinder.
  6. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

I'll second the angle grinder.

Much easier to work around any twists and turns on the blade with a hand held grinder.

When I sharpen them the don't look like factory edges. They're sharp, they're pretty smooth but a hand grinder won't do the pretty work a bench grinder will. But I figure after half an hour of use, the bench ground blades don't look so pretty either.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you're getting a handheld, check out Chicago Electric's 4.5" models at Harbor Freight Tools:
    When they go on sale, I've bought them for as little as $10 each.

I bought several last year, thou I'm still on my first one (bought the extras just in case), still going nice and strong.

Appears to be a solid grinder, looks and feels close to any of the famous brand names, color of mine is blue.

Too bad they haven't come around with some $50 RGB's :laugh:

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

If ya want to step up to the plate n get a dedicated BG .... get the largest HP possible this is 1HP n can sharpen blades in a minute ...the 1.5HP is even better .... dosen't have to be the RBG specific ....but the design is mostly the same between manufacturer's .... the replacement wheels run bout $70 n last bout a I'd say 1000 blades sharpens

Coarse the little grinders work fine ....kinda like a push mower works fine ...but when your doing 35 blade edges per day ....the bigger units are more productive ....n generally it's a 1 time purchase outside the wheel replacement
  10. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I won't even lie, Fantasy Lawns has a nice set-up.