What kind of insurance?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by radracer, Jul 12, 2005.

1. radracer

radracer LawnSite Member

I was just wondering, what kind of insurance do I need to carry for my lawn care business? I am just starting out and am not sure what I need.

Thanks
    Harold

2. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Commercial general liability and equipment coverage and commercial auto for your truck. Talk to your insurance agent. Most are well versed in lawn care coverage.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah watch out for the commercial for the truck:
    - You can get in serious trouble if you insure through regular auto - In case of an accident, they can drop you right there without even covering the actual incident, for example.
    And, it can be sky-high. I got it for around 600/year with a perfect driving record (nothing in 5 years, not even a dismissed ticket) and minimum liability on a 1986 dodge 2500. Newer trucks + any marks on driving record: +++ $$$.
    It pays to be a safe driver.

For lawn care, here in Virginia it is not required by law to have Insurance and you might check this out in your state...
    But if you have to have it, get General business liability or like the other guy said - Commercial liability: It's usually one of those.