1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of invoice do you leave with your customers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HazellLawnCare, Feb 8, 2005.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what kind of invoice you leave at your customer's door. I would like to see some examples as I am considering doing something different this year.
  2. HazellLawnCare

No one wants to share their invoices or even comment?
  3. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Go to MO dept of Ag and see what they require. Then make up one of your own tailored to the invoicing and financial syystem you have setup.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We bill all of our customers by mail. Are you asking about an analysis sheet?
    Plenty of computer billing programs out there, i prefer quikbooks.
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use quickbooks statements to mail out once a month. If they don't owe anything then I don't send them one. At end of year I send one so they can see all their charges for the mowing/fert/weed,etc. year.
  6. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I have a question about that. I have always left the invoice at the time of service with a return envelope, some customers even pay me at the time. Do you find a financial upside to mailing invoices? I was always taught to get payment as quickly and cheaply as possible. I must admit I don't like writing up the invoice in the truck, it seems to be a drag on my time and slows me down.
    Just curious.
  7. westwind

I have found that the time wasted in the truck is better spent behind the computer. Printed, mailed invoices seem to be a better presentation. Return envelopes are a must, so the difference is postage. This seems to be a small price to pay when considering company appeal. My contracts are extremely specific w/ "small print" covering all late fees and legal repercussions. This has worked for me and proves to be a good system for my company. "Takes money to make money" just my opinion. payup
  8. HazellLawnCare

Ok so for you guys that do your invoices in the mail what do you leave at the door to explain what has been done?

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

This sample invoice was made on Quickbooks and I have it set up so that when folded in thirds it fits in a standard window envelope showing the receivers address. Since I have a relatively small customer base I also enclose a return envelope so the customer can easily remit their bill by tearing off the bottom half. If you notice the way I have the invoice set up, the tear off portion fits perfectly in the return envelop, it includesthe invoice number, date sent, and customer balance total is all repeated from the top. When payment is received the tear off portion is marked paid on the bottom and put into a file, then it is also entered into the computer as paid . The top portion serves as a receipt for the customer along with their returned check.

Hope this helped you. It is also cheaper than buying the pre-printed forms from intuit.
  10. westwind

Hazell: this is an example of what i leave. check your local regs.

Attached Files: