What kind of "just in case" things do you carry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 23, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of "just in case" things do you carry with you while at work? I'm talkin' about everything (batteries, extra oil, spare tires, toilte pper, anti diahreal LOL, fire extinguishers, change of clthes, etc.)? You name it! I am trying to think of everything I could possibly ever need and putting it in my van. What do you carry or even what do you suggest carrying? Remember I'm talkin' about anything and everything.....looking forward to your answers!

2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I carry the usual...oil,a few tools,but the most important thing I carry is my big chain!I don't know how many times I have had to use my chain to pull mowers out of the mud,pull cars out of the snow ect.I big chain is a must in this business!!

3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I used to always carry azz floss, sheet paper. I have the 55 piece craftsmen set, air tank, etc.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yous gots ta wear yo cup and yer shoulda ma pads! LOL

Actually, I remember reading in the April Lawn & Landscape mag that you should carry a bag of charcoal to mix with water in case of pesticide contact, and a fresh quart of water in a thermos or sealable type btl.

They also mentioned that you should always keep quarters on hand in the trucks for use of a public phone in case of an emergency if there are no employee or client phones available.

One thing that I found out we were out of last minute was butterfly band-aids. You always have the strip style but there always seems to be a shortage of the butterfly style.

As far as tools go, I have equipped all trucks with a cheap $13 set of tools from Wally World that has sockets, screw driver bits, tire gage, plug gage, socket plug, wire brush etc. If they get lost, broken or stolen its not a $20 screwdriver from Kobalt or Sears that has to be replaced.

Oh yea, I just saw LB82 comment about rope. The other day I broke a starter rope so that would be numero uno in my book!!!

Kris

5. i second the big chain. 20 feet is good. i also got for myself a small first aid kit from landscaper supply. those are good to have with you, they come with tweezers, bandages, etc. then what else? a couple of screnches, a leatherman type tool is a good idea as well. bigger the better. um, keep some 2 cycle mix packets with you, oil, grease, grease gun, rags, paper towels, pain killers (for those mornings when you have that bad hangover) pepto bismol, whatever you think you may need, bring it, oh yeah, rope. get some ropes. and tie downs.

6. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

A come-a-long is handy along with the chain. All the tools you can carry along. Make sure your first aid kit is updated. I had one for 9yrs before I used it. Went to get a bandaid and the whole pack had melted together from the heat, the Neosporin had liquified, etc. A cell phone is also great to have along with a fresh pack of condoms for you single guys. Well, you asked for everything. Russ

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I opt for the 2" tow strap over the chain. it only weighs a couple pounds and you can roll it up and stick it under the seat. Much safer to pull with a strap since is stretches and absorbs the impact instead of transfering it to you and the truck. Always get the loop ends (not the hooks) and use D-rings to attatch to vehicle or a hitch pin in the receiver (never around the ball). If you are going to yank out a shrub, I also carry a 6 ft choker chain to go around the beast and hook that to the strap with the d-ring.

In addition, first aid kit, water, phone, tools, extra blades and full trimmer spools, eyewash drops, dust masks, extra gloves (including latex in case of poison ivy) and tissues and allergy spray (whew!).

jeffyr

8. lol- yeah you gotta keep up on that med kit. also with the cell phones, if you have a friend who has an old one. 911 calls from that phone are free. so maybe you wanna think about doing that. what else? um.... the come along is a good idea, or if you have some rope and a block that is another good way of doing it. what else? pens and paper. calculator, ruler or measuring wheel, um. flashlight. definatley a flash light for when you get in late at night or whatever. just go through a home store one day, such as home depot and look at things and see if you think you are gonna need them for what you do. also tape. duct tape is good. tire iron, jack, etc.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I actually keep dog biscuits in my truck, i had to use them a couple times with not so friendly dogs.

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

When I went on an estimate tonight I thought of another one:
    BUG SPRAYS!!!!

Kris