What kind of liner is best?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by tmc8524, Feb 14, 2008.

1. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

I haven't quite gotten into the pond building yet but i'm looking to within the next year. I pride myself on doing the best job possible and was wondering what the best type of liner is(hard or flex) as far as durability, value for the money, and mainly what type i will be able to work with easiest and make it look good.

2. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

EPDM pond liner. Nothing else works as well.

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

only one illl use..

i have seen a pvc or some crap liner fall apart within 5 years.. the thing was so brittle it just cracked like glass....

4. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic LawnSite Member

epdm rubber

5. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

and rubber / plastics last about twenty years. It's ok if you are willng to rip the pond out and start over after a while. Treated soils/clays last much longer than any of us will. It all depends on your perspective.

6. ncsuhort01

ncsuhort01 LawnSite Member

epdm, the guy that taught me how to build ponds has had a piece of epdm liner laying on a tin roof for almost 20 years. He's very proud of his "experiment", and shows it to everyone that comes to his house. And I woul say the liners have gotten even better today.

7. ncsuhort01

ncsuhort01 LawnSite Member

oh yea and check out pond armor if your not in an area with high water tables.

8. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

I'm going to derail this slightly.

When laying down your liner, do you want to try and have one continual piece? Here's why I ask:
    I am in the final design phases of a pond, stream, and waterfall design in my backyard. Pond is about 12x15x3. Stream will be about 12x3x1 or 12x4x1. Waterfall basin will be about4x4 (depth undetermined at this time).
    So if I go with a single piece, I will need to be looking at a roll of EPDM in the 25' wide category. I estimate I will need about 50'. I've only looked at one place on-line, but 25x50 EPDM is $475, and I'm going to have A LOT of waste, since the stream and waterfall isn't even close to the width of the pond.
    If I can chunk it out to three pieces, I'll have a 20x25 ($200), a 10x20 ($80), and about a 15x15 ($90)

I will save myself about $100 if I can piece three difference pieces together. Plus, it will allow me to build one section of the feature at a time. Of course, I'm not sure if this is OK to do, and if so, how it is done. I live in TX and have very hard, packed clay so I'm sure a tiny overlap leak won't drain anything too rapidly. Still, I don't want to take that chance.

9. TRBIGCREEK

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

Start with the the pond first, then overlap the stream into the pond, then overlap the bog liner into the stream. Just be sure your water depth is not deeper than your overlap.

TR

10. fmjnax

fmjnax LawnSite Member

Let me make sure I'm understand this. If I have the stream overlap into my pond, I shouldn't have a leak issue as long as the water level is not higher than the overlap point. If the water level IS higher than the overlap point, then water will be able to seep up between the two pieces, thus leaking out. As long as the water level is NOT higher than the overlap point, water will be able to flow from the stream to the pond without being able to flow back up through the overlapped pieces.

Is that the ultimate point TR?