1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of Marketing works the best?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobdaduke, Jul 22, 2004.

1. bobdaduke

bobdaduke LawnSite Member

Ive put on mail box flyers, it works ok, Ive mailed out flyers, I havent received a single call.:angry:
  2. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Knocking on the door and speaking direct to the homeowner is more effective than just leaving the flyer.
  3. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Person to person contact is always the best form of advertising. But also doing a good quiality job at a fair price will get your name spread around. Word of mouth is an extremly good way to advertise.
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Hang in there, it takes a little time before people will knock down the door for your service. This is a tougher time of the year to start, most people have someone already or are DIY'ers. Try driving around and look for yards that need some attention, commercial or residential. And check with local real estate offices, they may have some listings that need mowing or many realtors themselves own rental properties and just maybe someone will need a service.

Hang in there, it'll happen, just give it some more time.

5. bobdaduke

Thanks Up North and Groundcover
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Really rough time of year to be trying to get new clients, no matter what form of advertising you use.

Just curious though, how many flyers did you put out?
  7. bobdaduke

I put out about 500
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi bobdaduke,

Just remember it's not easy. If it were, everyone would do it. What you are doing is tough but don't give up. You can do it.
  9. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

The general, somewhat known, unwritten rule of marketing is this: 100 attempts gets you 10 return calls gets you 1 customer. Sometimes this ratio is true, sometimes you get lucky and land a bunch of accounts. But sometimes this ratio might as well be air....you try and try, but it seems like you get nowhere fast. I know its easier said than done, but I've done it and so has everybody else out there, just keep trying, and shop around for better deals on marketing. Cheaper is better, also something to consider is to contact Sean Adams (owner) and order the work templates he has for sale, I did, I love em' and still use em' to this day.

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, it might take a little longer but works better to try to talk to the prospective customer. And something that has worked very good for me was referrals from my satisified customers.