what kind of mix for shade?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jarroo's lawncare, Mar 3, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i am in need of a seed blend that grows excellent in the shade. is there any seed that you would recommend using?

2. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

a little help please

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

There is no grass that grows excellent in shade. There are several that will tolerate shade, most notably fescues. There are some KBG varieties that will tolerate shade, but they don't do as well as fescues. Most seed retailers sell a "shady" mix that will probably suit your needs.

4. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We use a fescue blend in shady areas

5. WHAT KIND of fescue?

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

use a good fescue mix . we use triple crown elite its 3 fescues combined (rembrant, millenium 2nd edition , bosai 2000) does well in shady areas, see ya george

7. Well, these are all tttall fescue, at least the first two, I would use another fescue that does better in shade than ttt fescue!

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

who cares if there a tall fescue they look awesome an do well in shade thanks george

9. Yes they take shade better than bluegrass, but the fine fescue will take much more shade than tall fescue. Dense shade, nothing will grow, need several hours of direct sunlight, preferrably in the morning

10. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Thin fescues, Red Fescues......I hate them.

But.....try a blend of red fescue and perennial rye.

Of course be prepared to overseed occassionally depending on the shade density and dieback etc.

Recommend Hostas and shade loving plants around trees and to limit the amount of turf in the area.