1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what kind of mower cover do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

those of you who dont have a shop or means to store your mowers inside...what kind of mower cover do you use? A tarp? An actual mower cover?
  2. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

PVC tarp for those that don't fit inside. Stay away from the blue/green/silver poly tarps in Texas as the sunlight will kill them.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don’t tell me they alive :drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
  4. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

Mine stay inside now, but before they did I had a huge tarp that covered the entire trailer. It was a regular poly tarp and it had to be replaced about every 6 months, but the PVC was too heavy when covering an 18' trailer..
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The commercial stuff is in the shop, but I got a throw-together tubing structure that a tarp roof is fastened to from Top Canopy. Inexpensive under $200 for 12 x 14. I got a steel lawn roller, a Trailmower, an old MTD rider, and a dump cart under it now. Not perfect, but better than out in the open. I shortened the poles so it keeps more rain off the stuff and does better in wind. I drove galvanized pipe in the ground for footers and then drilled and pinned the canopy to the pipes. Its two years old and just got a new tarp for it. Farmtek sells hoophouse garages in a lot of sizes but those are more expensive. I like the hoophouse structures but need something that the cover comes off of fast when a hurricane is coming in.
  6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Further north you go, the longer they last. A poly tarp here might last 3 months, the PVC ones, a year. But you are right about the weight, they are much heavier. They also cost twice as much, while lasting 4 times as long for us. So it works out to a better buy in the long run.
  7. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

8. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

I use a king canopy 10x120 the only problem is you have to get the snow off every so oftern. It also makes a nice temp place to work on the plow truck when it breaks I can use my halogen floods for some warmth and keep dry out of the snow. The only bad thing is that the mobile home park here is not to fond of it in my yard during winter. I can not wait till we can get a house here. Maybe I will then have a real shop.