1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of Mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bladelady, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bladelady

bladelady LawnSite Member

I would like to start mowing residential lawns. I have alreadylined up some clients, and they have a wide variety of different sized lawns. What would be the best versatile mower for servicing these lawns? Would it be a good idea to get more than one?
    Also, I was thinking about using electric equipment, in case anyone has experience with that.
  2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the lot sizes? I have a 48" WB that I use on townhouse lawns and single family lots up to 3 acres. The larger (more than .75 acres) lots are hard to do with only a 48" mower even when riding on a sulky. For the smaller lots it is great.

As far as electric hand equipment I do not recommend it. You will need a few hundred feet of extension cord and they just don't have the power.
  3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i started with a 21 inch mower as a kid
    then a 36 inch scag rusty and a smoker

then i picked up the 44" toro and a 48" scag

the 44" fits everywhere exept a few backyards still have the 21

a 40" fits nearly everywhere and is more efficent then a 36 for a varity of yards...

Just look at the yard sizes and think on it...

good luck

4. Icemanku

Icemanku LawnSite Member

You never go with electric
  5. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

I for one would feel like I should drop the price for using their electricity to run my equipment to cut their lawn.