What kind of mowing incentives

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Im thinking about giving all returning customers $10.00 off there 1st invoice, if they return there agreements before March 20. Im hoping that this will sway some of the customers that will be on the fence this Spring. I think it would cut my churn in half. Say from about 10 down to 5
  2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I have never offered any kind of incentive to keep customers. I feel if I do a good job for them then they will be back, if they find someone cheaper then i dont want to work for them anyhow. Actually i have never had a problem with losing customers, maybe this year with money being tight because of home heating bills some may be looking around, but i cant afford to give deals. The only thing i have ever done is if i got a referral, i would give $5 off per refferal if i got the business. But that was when i was really looking for business, right now I dont really need anymore.
  3. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you could give a different incentive than money (I don't know, maybe a free Spring sprinkler system inspection or something). Some people could care less about you giving them a monetary break because unless you are placing a physical, green, crisp $10 bill with the new dollar smell in the palm of their hand, it probably won't have the slightest effect on them. . .and frankly, there's better ways to blow/forgo hard earned money. . .
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If a customer signs up for an annual maintenance service we give them our annual fertilizer program free.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If your gonna offer an incentive make it in the middle or end of the contract.
    The agreement is worthless if someone moves or looses there job etc.
    Suggest some thing along the lines of with a yearly returned contract by x date we will extend the beauty of your lawn with a free [or discounted] fall green up application.

cheap to do a staight fert and you will already be on the prop.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

when i get customers to sign a year contract i give them one of the following:
    i figure the 30 - 50 bucks i am out will come back to me by 10 % to 30 % in the long run.
  7. dKoester

Yes I agree evergreen. Our season is longer than Ohios. We get better returns from our deals than they do. Long live the grass of Chesapeake Virginia!!!
  8. dKoester

Are you near selma? I have family there.
  9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Give?????? Hmmm..... Assuming your work is up to par, why don't THEY "give" you an extra $10 to come back next year? Answer: ain't gonna happen! Why should you give them anything other than a job well done in return for fair payment? You gotta roll the dice baby, I have customers who continue to amaze me by continuously paying my above average invoices year after year-with no incentive, other than quality on time service. A wise businessman once told me "I'm embarrassed at the prices I charge" Roll with it babe!
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No mowing incentives. Price increases on at least 50% of the customers.