What kind of oil quiets kohler chattering lifters?????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Jun 20, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

25hp kohler lifters chattering perty loud. anyone know what oil quiets them down and the weight??? i was now thinking of going to a synthetic..
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Have you changed the oil recently?
    They tend to make a bit of noise when needing a fresh batch of 30 weight oil.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

NEVER run anything but 10W30 oil in a Kohler Command engine PER Kohler.
    If you have excessive lifter noise find the reason why, Low oil pressure ?
    How many hours are on this engine ?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I used Sea Foam in the oil and that took care of my problem. I only put it in once after oil change, guess it cleaned something up. Kohler certified repair person was the one who suggested doing it.
  5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Try a can of Kohler spec oil. Ihad a similiar problem, Ed
  6. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

the kohler command 25 have lifter problems. i had one do the same thing. i tried synthetic with no help. they tried to tell me that lifter noise was normal and after telling them that any engine with 100 hours and very loud lifter noise was NOT normal. the only thing that fixed my lifter problem was when Kohler replaced it with a command pro engine. (no cost to me) i have about 400 hours on the new one and it's quiet as a mouse. call kohler and your dealer.
  7. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

well i either run 10w 40 or 10w 30. i think i will buy some kohler 10w30 oil next time at the dealer and put that in.. i did read to use that sea foam to but i dont know where to buy it by me. where do they sell the stuff???
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you're running 40 weight oil that could possibly be the problem.
    Run 30 weight.
  9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, asuming all is well with your engine 10-30 10-40 ok Spoke to kohler the other day requiring higher pressure oil spring , not advised to be over 55psi [lifter pump up] I run large oil cooler and suffer 5 psi loss across system40-45 psi. Not particularly bothered.If you look in the manual it will say oil weights versus ambient temp . I choose 10-40 as i live in a mild to hot climate.50f--90f days allyear.Providing you have changed oil regularly 50 60hrs . Check oil pressure ok if not soft OEM cams/lifters is possible Typical OEM are cast cams and not of a high qual material.Apparantly kohler has lifter issues. Get it checked. tomo
  10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

I found Sea Foam at my NAPA dealer. I have used it in both the oil and in the gas. I also used it in my T100 when the lifters got noisy. Worked very well indeed.

I also use 30W for the most part as our daytime temps are daily, year round in the mid to high 80's occasionally in the low 90's. Night time gets 'down to a cool' 78 degrees. Such is life in paradise.

Guam, Where America's day begins.