What kind of oil to use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys. I need to change oil in my TTHP 36". My dealer said that for Kawasaki 15 HP engines, I should run Kawasaki 30W oil in it. I can't remember the engine model # right off the top of my head, but it's a 2002 15 HP Kawi. So, can I run some high quality 30W oil in it instead of having my dealer ship me the Kawi stuff that's probably 2-3 bucks a quart and then cost $$$ to ship it? Since the dealer is 200 miles away, it's gonna be tough to go pick some up and I need it now. Thanks guys!
  2. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have always ran synthetic oil in all my machines with out a problem, I have never even heard of kawasaki oil before and I have three mowers that have kaws. Your dealer probably wants to make money from you so he is telling you about the oil by kawasaki.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$2-$3 was a little off. I checked my folder where I keep all my mower stuff and they have a deal that if you put Opti-4 oil in the engine, it will double your engine warranty. The problem is that it is $36.00 a case, $6 a quart :eek: I take it that Opti-4 is made by Mobil and that it's synthetic? If I can get that stuff without having to ship it and if it's less than $6 a quart, I'll buy some.
  4. I always use mobil 1
  5. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I used opti 4 for awile to and never looked at what I was paying for it case I would get a bunch of other stuff at the same time and I haven't decided if I am going to stick with it this season. They say they will make you 2 year kaw. warrenty a 4 year if you use it but they also say you can get a easy 4 years out of them motors on regular oil I am thinking it is just a dealer scam to get you to buy more from them.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

been watching the specs change lately for oil.
    recently i decided to go with kohler oil.
    definitly has different specs than even mobile 1 syn.
    oil is oil is oil . but im thinking kohler knows the particular needs of their motors better than anyone.and their specs do read different.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I always use Opti-4. Best small engine oil I have found. Plus the extra warrenty. I tried Mobil 1 last year for one change. One mower had opti the other mobil. At the same hours the Opti was much cleaner and didn't have that burnt smell.

Opti isn't a synthetic. It has additives in it that make it better. If you feel them side by side the Opti is a better oil. At least for air cooled motors. Now trucks, Mobil 1. With the Opti I change oil at 100 hours and its still in good shape.
  8. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor.
    Plain and simple; call the engine manufacturer tech support and do not waste so much time and money trying expensives oils....

Change your oil regularly, clean air filter weekly and you will be fine but call tech support anyway..........
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I to stick with what the engine manufacture recommends and if they call for specific oil then I question them on why. Call them up and find out what they want used in their engines and why. Not all oils are the same.

10. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Mobil 1