what kind of oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RD592, Sep 3, 2006.

1. RD592

RD592 LawnSite Member

I have a 19 hp kaw. engine, and I am wondering what kind of oil yall are putting in your mowers with this type of engine.

Thanks

2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 35 weight Castrol Oil in my 23 HP Kawasaki. Yes it is 35 weight . I mix a quart of 30 and a quart of 40 weight together because of the high temperatures we get here this time of the year. Earlier in the spring I use straight 30weight.

Nosmo

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I would use the kind the manufacturer said to use in it.

GEO

4. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

Kaw said to use SAE30. Use 10w30 below 40 degrees but check oil more often because it will use it faster.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Read your damn owners manual...

Really, are there that many choices on the shelf? 10w30 is basically the universal oil for most gas engines...

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry maniac.....Straight 30W is most common, Specially where we live.

DJL has it right from the manual....

7. Nosmo

4 Weights of Oil are recommended in my manual by Kawasaki.

Two are multi-viscosity 10-30 or 10-40 depending on the temperature.
    Two are singled viscosity 30 or 40 weight depending on the temperature.

There is a reminder in the manual to check the oil more often when using multi-viscosity because the engine may use more oil with this grade.

8. Nosmo

Went back and looked at the Kawasaki manual and found a recommendation for yet another weight of oil.

For temperatures below freezing Kawasaki recommends SAE 5-20W. Some folks operate their mowers as snow plows in the winter. Grass in my area certainly doesn't grow in cold weather.

For myself mowing in spring and summer to fall is what I bought mine for. 30 or 40 weight (or mixed together) is for me .

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I had car and lawnmower engines alike in mind...

10. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

First I must mention the owner manual would be a great starting point and that 15W-40 oil viscosity will likely not be listed.

I was surprised that not many seem to use the common 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oils like Chevron Delo 400 and Mobil Delvac 1300 Super. These oils are priced around 7 to 8 US dollars per gallon and should offer good cool weather starting and high temperature shear properties. I have been using Delo 400 in my single and twin cylinder Kawasaki, Kohlers, Briggs, and Honda air cooled engines in temperature ranges from 35 to 95 degrees F without oil consumption issues. My thought is the only better oil might be a full synthetic oil at more than double the price. If I had data that would show the synthetic oils reduce friction enough that the engine temperatures are lower in high temperature high load conditions, it might be worth the cost difference. Currently, I am not convinced that the synthetic oils have sufficient benefit to warrent the cost increase. I would rather change the oil more often to remove combustion by products.