1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of paint to use on mower deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MowinginEureka, Oct 13, 2009.

1. MowinginEureka

MowinginEureka LawnSite Member

Hi. I need to repaint the bottom of my Honda powered Toro Proline mower and repaint the bottom of my HRC216 Honda mower. I dont really care about the color as I am just painting under the mower deck. What kind of paint should I use? I need something as smooth(durable would be nice too) as possible, we get super bad rain here and everything clogs like every 20 feet of mowing no matter what. I also have a lot of dings and marks in the bottom of my Toro due to rocks and other stuff that gets run over, should I fill these in with some sort of bondo or JB weld and paint over them? Thanks!
  2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I kinda think that you won't be able to find anything that will really work well.
    I'm sure the Honda has an aluminum deck and anything you put will be gone after cutting a few yards. Same for the Toro deck even though it is steel.
    A few years ago I tried a couple of things during the season when the grass is fairly new or just damp.
    After cleaning the deck well I sprayed a coat of plain silicone spray on it. Seemed to work for a while. Can also try simple vegetable spray (same as used in cooking).
    I think even a heavy duty epoxy coating would only last a short time with everything picked up by the blades hitting it.
  3. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

In Florida nothing lasts on the underside of the deck. It stays bright and shiny when the grass is dry.
    Some people use fluid film to help mitigate grass from sticking to the deck but it does not last long in Florida from what I can tell.
    I just keep scraping the deck when it is wet til the season drys out.
    As far as dings I think you are wasting your time trying to fill them.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Waste of time/paint, The under side of any deck is nothing more than a sand blaster. How much paint stays on anything put inside a blast cabinet ?
  5. scooby074

scooby074 LawnSite Member

Im not a commercial guy, but ive had really good luck with POR15 under mower decks. Clean it well (pressure wash and scrape) then 2 coats of POR.
  6. grasshog08

grasshog08 LawnSite Member

try the rubberized car undercoating!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. MowinginEureka

MowinginEureka LawnSite Member

Ended up just getting some tractor paint. Pressure washed, hand cleaned, used a wire brush on a drill for the corners, and then used 180 grit to get a good surface. Then I primed. Currently the first coat of paint is drying, tomorrow goes on the second coat. The stock paint on my mowers usually last about 6 months if you clean it enough. I'm going to go buy a pressure washer later this week to keep them in better shape. We shall see!
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't repaint them either.
  9. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

I will have to agree with some of the others. It seems like a waste of time to paint the underneath of a deck. However, it is your deck and if you feel the need I say go for it! If you need to choose another color my vote is for GREEN! :laugh:
  10. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

No matter what color he paints it, I got a feeling it will end up GREEN anyway.