what kind of pay would you ask for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i may be offered a job, as an employee. my duties will include maintaing parks and sports fields within a township. i will lead a crew of men, size to be determined. i'm thinking perhaps myself, and two others. the workweek will be 40 hrs, and i'm going to try and get my hours from 6 am till 2 pm. by the size of the properties, i really think it will be at a snails pace. i'll be responsible for mowing, leaf cleanup, fert and chemical apps, aeration, trimming, etc, full maint of the grounds. i'll be using all the township equipment, fuel, etc, i will be strictly an employee , a working supervisor. great benefits, all paid holidays, pension. i have no clue on what kind of pay to ask for. my business will be fine if i can get my hrs at mon-fri, 6-2. what kind of pay would you expect to get for a position like this?

2. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

is insurance included,if so 15.00 hr,if not 20.00.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

they will probably offer in the neighborhood of $12-$16 depending on experience and state certifications you bring to the table.

4. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

with benefits 20 an hour

5. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

Bobby: It depends what you clear a yr. now. Do you still plan to do landscaping/mowing on the side or as a business. It's going to be hard to get a whole lot done when you are working another full time job. I know I did it for a couple of years. In addition, if you are the director for this position you might not get the hours of 6-2. They may need you there at other times. What do you gross/net a year right now?

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Here if you're educated they'd give you around 30k a year, no formal ed. about 25-26k a year for the schools. Parks guys are usually about the same except foreman that have CDL and Pest lic, Arbor cert. and bi-lingual make more about 36-40k a year depending on who they work for. These include both the entry level supervisors and the lead supervisors. Ususally called level 1's and 2's with full health bens. and paid vacations.

7. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

It probably has a set salary range if its for local govt'. I would make sure they take into account all your certifications as a licensed fert/pestcide applicator and your experience and if there is a range ask for the high end of it based on the above

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i am being considered, for, amoung other things, my pesticide certification , experience, and let's not forget, it's political. i was told, any courses i take in the meantime will be reimbursed 100%. it's 100% free medical/dental/optical. all paid holidays, vacation time will be discussed. full pension and lifetime bennies after 20 yrs of service. i can retire at 60 with a full pension. i can still operate my business if i get the hrs i want, and all work will be within 5 min of my home

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Go for it. The only thing is all the extra hours of salary. Our parks guys have to stay for baseball games and stuff in case the lights go out or what ever. Here's the department of labor take on it. Pay is toward the bottom http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos172.htm

10. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

no reason you shouldn't't make as much as a garbage man who by the way make a good buck start pay 34000. 10 year 60 to 70 with a pension of about 4000. a month