what kind of pickup should i buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Allure, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

I really want to buy a Toyota Tundra but i wanted to see what everyone thought. I want the best quality truck (hence toyota) but i want to make sure i have enough payload & towing capacity (tundra payload 1700lbs/towing 6900 lbs). I am a one man landscaping co. I do plantings, mulch (wood & stone) garden walls, tear outs. I hope to offer pavers next year. right now i am working out of the back of my toyota Highlander or my dads 4cyl chevy s10.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    glenn
    Allure Landscapes

2. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

If I were you and were looking for the best quality truck, I would be looking at Chevy or GMC. Those are the best work trucks in my opinion. Others may agree with me and others may not but if you want quality and a dependable work truck, I would look at a Chevy or GMC. The Toyota may be fine for light hauling but a GMC is your best bet, especially if you are going to be hauling large amounts of mulch or stone on a trailer.

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

First, one you can afford - you don't want to be so truck poor you can't enjoy life. 2nd, if you're already worried about payload, I'd get a bigger truck - a 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be even better. After that it's all up to you. All makes have some problems, I really think all have some good points. I'm partial to Dodge myself for trucks - especially diesel, but others prefer other trucks.

4. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Hey Allure I would go for a larger pick-up. You will never know what youll be hauling dirt, stones, pavers, larger trailer etc. I have a 1/2 ton Dodge and I had to put spring helpers on it for plowing. If you can swing it try for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. You could never have too much truck!!:weightlifter:

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta be a Ford F1 ,2, or 350 Or a Ranger...but a Ford.

6. Allure

thanks so much for the advice.
    since a ton is 2000lbs wouldn't a 3/4 ton pickup haul 1500lbs or is the term 'ton' used differently when referring to pickups.

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Used differently. The payload will vary by manufacturer. Toyota used to have a 1 ton dually many years ago, but I doubt it's payload matched that of one of the big 3.

8. Allure

thanks for clearing that up Randy. the new Tundra (due in january) will have much greater capacity but i dont think i can wait. i don't have a hitch on my suv & probably wouldn't want to tow with it anyway. I've had bad luck with ford vehicles in general & my brother has has trans problems with at least 2 of his ford pickups. If people don't have to many problems with their chevy's or gmc's then maybe i'll go that way.

9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I have a new F-350, I like it a lot, but for some reason I tend to recommend other people the GM trucks (unless if they plan on plowing with it, not that the GMs are awful plow trucks, just that the Ford has the solid front axle). I feel that for those who are getting their first fullsize pickup, a GM would be a great truck to start with.

But really, you can't go wrong with any of the trucks nowadays, as long as the truck is rated for what you intend to use it for.

And don't believe the media's hype on how Toyota trucks are better. Yes, Toyota does make good trucks, especially compact trucks, but for a fullsize work truck, you will not go wrong with any of the trucks that "Detroit" builds.

I am assuming you are going with brand new. A GMC Sierra 2500 (3/4 ton) gas model 4x4 would be a nice truck that should treat you well. Or really whatever 3/4 ton you can get the best deal on.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

well i own a tundra and can tell you its hands down a better truck than any of the big 3 . however the bed size is a problem if you are going to fill it with losts os stuff. it very shallow and dosnt hold much and this is a flaw that toyota has addressed on the new model comming out. the tundra tows great . better than my v8 chevy. 3 yrs and not a single problem w/my tundra. 16 mpg in town isnt bad for a full size truck either. while it isnt the best work truck cause of the bed-reliability hands down its the best truck overall