What kind of pressure washer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffG, Nov 20, 2002.

1. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get a cold water pressure washer to add to my services offered. I want one that will last, so a heavy duty one I guess, especially as the tasks may be varied in the commercial field.

Can anyone give advice on this please?
  2. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

Get a hot and cold. I really dont know any specific brands, but I DO know that the "cheap" ones are JUST THAT!! Ball park 1500.00-2500.00 starting out. Good Luck!
  3. Country_Joe

Country_Joe LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Check out a Dirtkiller. Website of same name. Bought one after alot of research a couple of years ago. Expensive but well built. Can't go wrong with this brand. Best motors and pumps out there. Go with the Kranzle pump.
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get comething with a honda motor and cat pumps, cat pumps are in about 95% of the car washes around the US. Get at least 2400psi or more.
  5. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard that TUFF is a good brand. Do a google search on "Pressure Washing Forum". There are a few professional ones.
  6. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

Thanks Country_Joe, the Dirtkiller website has helped.

One thing, you say get one with a kranzle pump, but the Econo Max range look the best suited for me, yet none of them have that pump. The only pressure washer I can see with that pump looks more household than commercial?

What one did you get and for what kind of use?

7. Country_Joe

Country_Joe LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have the H357...Dirtkiller industrial grade. Honda motor and kranzle pump. 3000psi at 2.5 gals/minute. I use it for general cleaning, boat and equipment cleaning, stripping of my decks for stain prep etc. I chose this model because of high psi at a low gal/min. It is important to make sure your water supply produces enough gal/min to feed the unit. I could have gone to a larger unit with my water supply but I loan this unit out alot and wanted to make sure that my loanees would not underfeed the machine due to lower gal/min with their supply. ( from home well pumps) This little dude carries alot of punch. Have had no problems. The pump can stand some abuse from running without any release but I try never to let that happen. Always make sure you are spraying when the unit is running. (as much as possible) I ordered direct from the factory and found the Dirtkiller people very pleasant and helpful. (no dealers in my area) Good luck....Dennis
  8. Darb

Darb LawnSite Member

Stay away from Home Depot and those type of stores. I also recommend belt driven. You do get what you pay for. DBLC mentioned hot and cold... these are more expensive but hot is really effective and time is money. You should also look into chemicals. These chemicals can really save you lots of time.

I did this work for a while and I was so glad when I dropped it. I tend to be a perfectionist and it didn't pay nearly as much as the other type of work I was doing (window cleaning).
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Hot or Cold pressure washers are a nice feature but so is ability to spray chemicals. What are you going to be using this for? Cleaning equipment, siding or decks?

10. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

My idea is to offer pressure cleaning for decks, path and driveways, gutters etc. etc.

I like the website for Dirt Killer as previously mentioned by Dennis. It was really helpful.