What kind of protection from ticks are most of you using??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fireman1000, Jan 26, 2012.

1. fireman1000

fireman1000 LawnSite Member

I've had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever Twice and infected with lyme with this last infection. It almost killed me both times. I must mow to help pay bills but wondered what everyone has used with the best results to keep the ticks away.

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I had a very minor case of Lyme disease this last summer, that stuff is real serious I am glad I didn't get it real bad.

I guess my only advice is try not to walk through tall grass or brush if you can avoid it. Also throw your clothes in the washer right when you walk in the house, and hop in the shower. Thoroughly check in your hair and other areas they can hide and latch on.

3. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

That's my girlfriends job. But seriously, I require everybody to wear long pants and boots. If we are in tall grass or brush we wear long sleeves as well. Just make sure to check yourself over after days of work like that.

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Check your self every night!! And have the ol lady check you. I've had lyme for 7 years and I now have to be on a regimen of high doses of advil when symptoms flare up with possible antibiotics every year. It sucks.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, tick check at the end of the day, or even at lunch. very thoroughly.

other than pure deet, the strong stuff, i cant offer an answer.

that sucks though, at least you are still here. my mom got lyme once, very sick. i have the benefit of being a hairy dude and i feel them crawling on me very easily

6. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

Ugh, I hate ticks. Had over a thousand seed tick bites last summer from when I was rebuilding my deer blinds. Went through about 15 bottles of that Benedryl gel. Bites up and down both legs and on my sides, itched like no tomorrow. I got home and was getting undressed and thought the things were dirt they were so thick. Ended up using the dog's flea and tick spray to get the things off me. Horrible things.

Picture0024.jpg

7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

Omg, that is intense
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Thanksman

Thanksman LawnSite Platinum Member

9. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Charlestown, RI

I bought a hair clipper last year, I have the 1/4 head on it, use it every week, drop my close in the basement when I get home, and get right into the show - check check check.
    I got lime about 20 years ago.

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

How do you know if you have/get lime disease?