What kind of rakes do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DPM, Nov 16, 2003.

1. DPM

DPM LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a few customers that want their lawns to be raked instead of mulching or blowing the leaves. I've been using a bamboo rake. In the last two days, two new rakes broke within 10 mins into the job. What kind of rakes do you guys use and recommend?

I've been doing some researching on the net and found a rake called "Deluxe Grounds Rake" - description: 14 double-curved spring tines allows you to rake leaves and lightly removes thatch from turf areas. It also has a fiberglass handle that swivels.
    I found it at www.rittenhouse.com.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use cheaper poly rakes. I use about 6 during the Fall and Spring clean-up times ( I work solo ). If the rake breaks I just buy another one.
  3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

I use the large 30 in poly rakes from Sears. If it breaks they will replace it. Another good rake is called The MAintainer. IT sounds similar to the earlier post.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sears is a great choice for this for that very reason. Home Depot, I think still has their Ames 30" ply rakes on sale for 10 bucks. Union brand (the burgundy ones) are rather nice, too, because they're a bit stiffer. I like these, but I have my own custom rake handles that I switch over. They are longer, lighter, and easier to use. Hand-picked and sanded from "good ole hickory". The length is what is REALLY nice. Not just for that little bitt more reach, but for the leverage of the wider grip spread. It's funny how something like that can make that big of a difference.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We use THE GROUNDSKEEPER II. Very good rake. Phone 515-987-4828
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I thought it was against the rules here on LS to use 4 letter words...LOL. I haven't picked up a leaf rake since I was about 12. And any customer that asked me to us one instead of our backpacks, leaf blowers, and/or using a vacuum is gonna get the same reply.

That's unless they don't mind paying me $75 an hour to use it btw...
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Only time I use a rake is to rake the pile onto the tarp. And whatever cheap 30 incher I can buy is the brand I use.
  8. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest rake I own is a 8 hp Little Wonder and the smallest is a Stihl BG65