What kind of rotor?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sricks, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sricks

sricks LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am tired of replacing the rotors on my system. Seems like I get about 3 years out of them and then they stop rotating or start leaking. The main problem is that I am using the off the shelf items from Home Depot or Lowes. Time to do it right and us some quality equipment.

I am looking for some large coverage heads that will be in an orchard and general lawn area.

Thanks

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

To get good quality equipment you should purchase from an irrigation supply house. I recommend Hunter rotors, either the I-20 or PGP for about a 20 -50 foot radius.
    The only halfway decent rotor I've seen at home improvement centers is the Orbit Voyager II which is almost identical to the Hunter PGP.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

If you're watering in tree areas, watch out for "hammering" the bark.
    I would not use single-spray rotors, Toro "Stream-Rotors" work great if you're
    VERY carefull about spacing & pressure (they like 50 psi @ the head!).
    The MP Rotators would work also, but nothing is cooler than a Stream-Rotor!

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's going to depend a lot on how your system is already designed: PSI and GPM. If you're looking to retrofit rotors into the same places you already have then what sized lines and/or swing joints do you already have in place? How far of a throw are you talikng about?