1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What kind of shoes to wear?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, Apr 28, 2006.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

After 4 years, I still always have the problem with the shoes...

Here it is in a nutshell:
    Some folks say to wear steel-toed but most of these are either black or brown and leather and must be treated and taken care of but the worst part is HEAT! Man I hate HOT feet because these shoes stink like holy hell when you take them off after a day, the stench is so nauseating in itself but it is also a sign of festering molds and I just can't stand this thought of the bacteria that if it stinks so bad it makes me want to puke, it can't be good for my feet.

Tennis shoes are nice but they get dirty and throw them in the wash once or twice cleans them some but they all start to break apart and in six months time, they are worthless. Safety-wise, they are a risk but once aware, always aware.

The problem with dirt would be an issue with steel-toed as well, my question is do the steel toed shoes actually last longer, and do they have any models that aren't so HOT when worn? I mean literally hot, like temperature fahrenheit. Safety wise these are an improvement but only in the toes.

Other than buying 3-4 pairs of 10-dollar tennis shoes between Walmart and Payless, I still haven't found anything that is both comfortable, cool to wear (temperature, not style or looks), and last a long time (it would be nice if they could be kept clean but I'm willing to trade dirt for function).

Is money an issue? Well if I have to spend 200 dollars every 2 years then I'm better off spending 40-60 dollars / year on 10-dollar pairs of tennis shoes, so yeah.
  2. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I got a pair of Timberland Pro Series boots over a month ago and like them so far. Also got a couple of dozen pairs of work socks too since I normally wear sandals and didn't own any socks. lol. They aren't hot at all. Or at least I haven't noticed it so far. There's also don't stink yet.
  3. Necroshine

Necroshine LawnSite Member

How do they run, width wise?
    I wear a 16 sneaker, and 15 really doesn't cut it. Do they run tight?
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try Hi-Tec hiking boots.They breath..have high tops
    and are very comfortable to work in.I wear Vasque boots more expensive but I only go through one pair a year compared to three pairs of other hikers.
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Dude if you are wearing size 16's you are in the wrong business!:hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I wear steel toed Brahmas from wally world. 25-30 bux and they last me fr what I do. I wear them daily and up untill I started lawn care I did alot of walking/standing and pole climbing (using gaffs) and ladder work. Been doing this for 25 years and have no problems other than the fact of at the end of the day I want them off. :dizzy:
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like running shoes, they are feather light, breathe well and are comfy. Hiking boots would be my second choice. I have noticed that my guys work faster in running shoes than in work-boots.
    I work 12hrs a day and usually only go through 1 or 2 pair of running shoes/year.
    I never buy white, I get gray or blue.
    Good luck
  7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I wear light hikers, those shoes that look like a cross between a sneaker and a boot. They are pretty light, but they have a thick sole and steel toes. I get a size bigger than usual, since my feet seem to swell in the heat at work.
  8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Light hikers are what i prefer. I also like them high, so i can put my pants legs over them to keep the grass out of my shoes.
  9. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I personally have always been opposed to steel toe boots. My dad many years ago had a concrete burial vault (about 1- 1.5 ton concrete box) fall on his foot. He lost 1 1/2 toes. If he had been wearing steel toe they said it would have crushed the whole front of his foot. I am not to sure that a steel toe will really help from anything serious. I wear normal boots, and sometimes even sneakers.
  10. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at Red Wing Boots. The red wings I have are very comfortable and have a good warranty.