What kind of sulky or velke do I need?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by actionpike, Apr 17, 2003.

1. actionpike

actionpike LawnSite Member

I am picking up a SCAG hydro 36" WB(Kohler 17 or Kawi?) today and I am wondering what kind of velke or sulky will work on it? I need it to be able to survive with me riding on it, I am 6'4 and around 300 pounds. This is my first larger mower than a 22", so I do not know alot about them. I just need advice on a good one that I can pick up around Dallas, TX. Most of the stuff I researched about was from places up north, I need something local. I appreciate all the help I can get, and any advice that is received.

Thanks,

Actionpike

2. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

velke, and jungle wheels produce sulkies for that application. try local commercial dealers, or do an online search for websites and ordering info. i've used jungle wheels in the past and they seem to hold up well.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Might even want to do a search on the bull rider. Best of luck to you with the new machine.

Gravely_Man

4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

You do need a 2wheel type,I'd get one with big tires.Your a big ole feller,a 1 wheel would rut badly if ground was soft,and I bust 3 or 4 a season,all your body weight is on 1 little bitty tire.I have a scag with single wheel,a cheap one.My son is 6'1" about 225 he can leave a pretty rut down the middle of a pretty stripe if its the least bit soft:p

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You need a two wheel trailing type sulky, not a castering type sulky. The TrimmerTrap Bullrider sulky is a dual mode which allows you to use it in either trailing or castering mode. You are too heavy for castering sulky. Not trying to hurt your feelings but you weigh half of the mower's weight +/-. A trailing sulky works good. My friend has a 48" hydro mower and a Velke X2 trailing sulky and he is your size and that sulky does good for him but when I used it I thought it rode alittle rough because of the small wheels. You need to find the largest tires possible. Mine has 10" tires 4" wide (not at tread) and gives a great ride supports me great but I'm 6' 160 lbs. If you could find one like this with large tires you would be better off than with the other small tired ones. Velke X2 and Jungle Wheels sulkies are good. I'm sure you could fit one of those with larger wheels and tires if you wanted although it will do fine as is, just bigger the better ;)

mar27152.jpg

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Homie made sulky and it works pretty goo except for the turning radius is LARGE go get one off of ebay and upgrade to larget tires. I'm 5'12" 205 and mine works great with 8" tires.

BHB is right the larger tires work a lot better.

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Wow 5'12". Must suck being 5' still.:D

8. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 5' 12" too!:D

9. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I'm 5' 12'

That is funny! I ahve said that a few times myself. LOL

10. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

wow guys that is pretty impressive im 6'2'' but 5'12'' sounds bigger its like which is heavier a hundred pounds of brick or a hundred pounds of feathers?