What kind of tires do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Budman, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I have an older 36" Bunton Hydro with a set of 13X5-6 tires on the back with a pretty aggressive chevron (like on heavy equipment) tread. I had a flat last week, and they are getting pretty worn, so it looks like the time for new ones. The previous owner of the mower had an extremely steep site that he mowed - hence the stout tread pattern on the back tires. The lot that I mow is fairly level, but there is one area that gets pretty soft and muddy, especially after a heavy rain. What kind of replacement tire would you all recommend? Would a standard turf-saver tire work OK, or would I be better off with a stud pattern or another chevron pattern?

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks!

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I would go with the turf-saver if its a flat area like you said.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

WOW thoes are some exelent prices.
    the Turf Saver II I've seen going for $30 Altho I'm sure size DOES matter.
    How are thoes TURF TRAC tires? Thay look like thay would dig up alot. The CARLISLE SUPER LUG's look quite agressive. I imagine thay would be good for plowing.

Thoes smooth Slick ones have no tread? whats up with that?:blush:

5. I found this style of tread to have better traction. I used to use the one posted above.

DICO/TITAN TURF TRAC R/S

[​IMG]

Same link

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can go to their main site and select various different kinds of tires (atv, lawn, etc) then select your sizes.

www.cedarrapidstire.com

7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm with LG on the Titan Turf Trac's, good tire. Cedar rapids is a great place to deal with too!

Jay

8. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

I think that is what is currently on the mower. I noticed that Cedar Rapids has them pretty cheap. I might stay with this tire because it does pretty well in the muddy area that I described earlier. Besides, I have a spare rim/tire that already has this tread - would keep the set matching.

LG - how does it compare to the Dico Turf Tracs that you run?

What is a reasonable amount to pay to have these mounted, or is it possible to do it myself? One place wanted $12.00/ea just to mount them!

Thanks for the help!

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I can't compare the two tires, they seem radically different. Both have been used on quality mowers, but I have never had the lug type to differenciate.

As far as installing tires on the rim.... Well from my experience I have learned there is a reason for them tire machines! I have only had consternation installing tires without the proper tools.

Go to a local tire store, or better yet the local service station that may do work for you and have them install them. Bet you can get both installed for about 10 bucks.

Have fun
    Jay

10. Actually I have the carlisle turf master series. They look identical to the dico turf trac.

I still have ones like the turf saver and these seem to do a lot of slidding on hills and in turns if you come in to one too fast.

The other type have more space between the lugs to grab better.

I have found with one really strong screw driver you can install these tires pretty easily. Breaking the bead is the hardest part.

Northern Tool has a tire changer that is pretty cheap. I think right near $30-$40.