What kind of truck beds do YOU use?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by andersman02, Dec 18, 2012.

1. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

It has come time to replace some of our truck beds as some of them are so rusted, they are unsafe to stand on let alone have a 300gal fert tank attached to them. Currently we have 4 01 f350s that will need a new bed eventually. We have tried beds with and without spray on liner. Seems not to help and have to change beds every 4-6 years.

Has anyone tried a wooden stakebed/flatbed? I know you can get stainless framing. I just hate to spend $1500+ on a new bed that will have to be replaced in 5 years. Also a wooden flatbed could be used as a sander truck in the winter.

What is your take on a flatbed?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It's a no-brainer.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

What about aluminum? Go that route and you will periodically need to replace trucks instead of beds haha
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ethanslawn

Ethanslawn LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a flatbed would be ideal with you andersman02 and i like the flexibility with a flatbed. I have a dump insert (obviously in a pickup bed) and i wish i would have bought a truck with a flatbed dump because it would be easy to have it as a leaf truck/dump truck/work truck. whats the bed brand/type i couldnt tell ya but talk to some dealers and see if you can see former customers trucks and see how well they hold up.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

ABC Truck Bodies Box. It is a 15 foot enclosed with all wood floor. Lockable neat and dry. A lot of advertising space all side if needed.

No rot at all and it is 7 years old.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I'd vote aluminum. It will be bigger up front investment, but it will hold up better.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I would consider is the longevity of the current trucks.

If you've got a few older ones, put a cheap flatbed on.

If you've got a few newer ones, go aluminum or stainless.

I'm debating this right now with my 01' C3500HD Salt truck. The bed is rotting away and I can re-hab the truck pretty easily. But I doubt that I'll put anything more than another steel flatbed on it.

8. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought 3500 HD and iam putting a flat bed on it

I went with a Aluma flat bed

I didn't wamt steel bed i think i made the right choise realy seems like a nice bed

But time will tell

Working on getting it bolted on

Charles Cue