WHAT KIND OF TRUCK DO YOU RESIDENTIAL GUYS USE?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by martyman, Mar 11, 2001.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I have been using a Jeep with a four cylinder with a five speed to do 40 residential and I have done alright but next year my brother-in-law suggested that I get a diesel and do some commercial also. I'm not crazy about commercial and I'm not sure about buying used trucks that have probabily been used for plowing before. I would like to know what kind of truck that is reliable that is smaller than a 3/4 ton.

Marty and thanks..

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The trouble is it is hard to find a good plow truck that is smaller than a 3/4 ton. There isn't much of a difference in size between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 ton will be a better plow truck.

We use F 250 HD's or F 350 regular cabs to plow or residential drives.

Geoff

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 3/4 ton chevy which is fine for big drive ways but for smallet a blazer would be better.

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

With the last storm we got 18" of heavy wet snow, and I needed every ounce of my 15000# K-3500 with the v plow to get through. Even tho it was murder to manuever at times, I never regretted having my big truck.
    Dino

5. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 96 dodge 1500 extra-cab with 7.5 boss plow and 7.5 daniels pull plow. It turns on a dime but I wish it was a reg cab to get in the tight spots better.I also use my 1 ton drw in some drives .

[Edited by slplow on 03-11-2001 at 07:16 PM]

6. Alan

Alan Member

I'm going to cry when our two old style S-10s head for the boneyard. Occasionally they are a bit light if the snow is running to being "packy", but in general I think they just might make the ideal residential plow truck. I'm leaning towards getting more commercial work next season, so one S may go down the road to be replaced by a 3/4 or 1 ton with a vee plow, but that is more a reflection on needing the vee rather than on the shortcomings of the S as a plow truck. We just came off the third largest snowfall on record up here and lost (tranny calved) our K2500/9'1" vee and spreader box right at the start of the storm. Handicapped us but did not stop us, the S trucks had to work hard but did the job.

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

We run some 1/2 ton fords with short box and reg cab, makes for a sweet driveway truck.

Really popular around here are the late 80's Dodge shortbox 1/2 tons with front and rear plows.

I would like to set up a 1/2 ton Ford shortbox with a 7.5 Boss V and a rear blade. Nice tight turning radius and the V would be a real timesaver.

8. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I was told not to use 1/2 ton because it is not tough enough, but I use a Jeep with a 4 cylinder here in Canada and it has worked alright. I took my time in picking this Jeep and I made a mistake I won't do it again. I Know that I won't buy a $40 000 diesel f250..

9. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Jeeps are supposed to be good for residentails. What was the mistake with the jeep?

Bedros

10. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

The mistake was not looking for a six cylinder and not looking for one that was in better shape... Marty