What kind of truck should I get?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, May 20, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 16 and will be getting my license in the summer. I have around 60 accounts (all tiny) (i work in a city) I really just need something to carry my 2 22'' mowers and my weedwacker, blower, hedger ect. I do around 10 mulch jobs a season (less than 2-3 yards each). The main problem is cost. Insurance is ridiculous. Costs of trucks are crazy. I am thinking of an older (95-98) trucks 2wd (4wd is more expensive on insurance policy's apparently) and i would love an f-150, but i got a quote for 5.5k per year for a 99 f150 lol.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Stay away from older Dodges or all Dodges for that matter, there transmissions are junk from my personal experience. I would say try and get a newer Toyota if you can, a V6 Tacoma will take care of you just fine and you'll have a lot less mechanic bills to deal with in the long run than if you buy an old american p/u.

As far as insurance I would see if you can have one of your parents get the vehicle insurance under their name, it's probably not so much the vehicle type thats driving up your insurance rates but rather your age, insurance companies fear young drivers and make them pay out the ass.

just my opinion, gl to you

3. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

$5500 a year for insurance. Thats ridiculous! Thats more than a hundred dollars a week. Have you checked with more than one insurance company?

4. pattytastik

Yes. I have the best i have been able to find is like 4900 a year. Keep in mind:

I am a brand new driver
    I am male
    I live in one of the busiest cities in the world
    I was getting a quote for a relitivly large pickup (more potential damage)
    It had 4x4 (not sure about this one but i assume it is because of off-roading)
    It actually was a brand new policy (for me, it wasn't gonna be on my parents policy) my parents aren't happy with the idea of me being on theirs lol.

Also, I do not plan on doing this a career. Just for money for college. So I can't rationalize buying a newer (2002+) pickup and spending a big deal on insurance when i will be dropping the business soon.

5. BCL Services

BCL Services LawnSite Member

Sorry but all things considered above, that quote is still horribly high.

6. pattytastik

I couldn't agree with you more.

7. mattmkng

mattmkng LawnSite Member

Fords are great trucks and in my opinion I wouldn't drive anything else when it comes to half-ton and above. In your case I would try and find a Toyota Tacoma. They are very reliable, great on fuel, and can haul those three yards of mulch.

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

BUY AMERICAN. Do us all a favor.

9. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason your insurance is so high is because you are going to be a new driver. I am 17. I am on my parents insurance and their insurance nearly doubled once they added me for driving...

10. pattytastik

What kind of car(s) do they/you drive?
    and do you know how much it costs for u to be on their policy?