1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of truck should I get?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pattytastik, May 20, 2011.

1. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly I don't know how much it costs but I drive an 06 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    also my parents own a 11 Tundra 4x4 and an 03 lexus

2. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

man u r lucky! i'm working with a 2002 toyota seinna lmao. Thats why i need my own policy with my own vehicle.

3. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, when I first started when I was 8 we would put 2 21 inch toro super recyclers in the back of my mom's oddesy

4. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

wow 8 years old. thats very impressive. I started when I was 13, i thought that was pretty good haha. Do you think i should consider just being on the sienna in order to save money? my mom works from home, so i could use it pretty often.

5. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

6. NJ Grass

NJ Grass LawnSite Member

When you look for insurance are you getting quotes for full coverage or just liability? It sounds like full coverage in which case you might consider just having liability coverage. you'll be taking on some risk in the event you are in an accident and found to be at fault, but the general rule of thumb from most insurance agents is that if the cost of your insurance over three years is more than the value of the vehiclethen it's not worth carrying full coverage. In your case it sounds like you'd be paying $4900 a year for full coverage on a truck that's worth about $5000. I'd go with liability until your truck and equipment total over $15k.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Those quotes are disgusting you might want to try getting a insurance policy for business instead of personal. So what ever the name of your business would be the policy owner had a friend that use to do this when he was in his teens seemed to work well for him. I can not imagine wasting that much on insurance. I just added a truck to my policy on Thursday 500k full coverage its a $60,000 truck 2011 ram slt 4500 crew cab dump truck its less then 1,500 a year for the insurance. Of course I'm 40 but see my point your getting seriously taken advantage of.

8. flyingdutch16

flyingdutch16 LawnSite Senior Member

if i were you, dont get a truck. And get an SUV. You really dont need a truck for the kinda work you do. It saves you plus there some nice SUVS out there with better mileages. Just my .2cents

9. johnny_boy02

johnny_boy02 LawnSite Member

Have you checked with a insurance broker? I had a horrible driving record as a teenager and was able to save about 50%.

As for a truck I have a 2007 2wd 6 cyl Ford f-150 that is perfect for me. If I were only doing this for a short time I would look for a mid 80's Toyota 2wd pickup. Like this..

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2377008616.html

http://reading.craigslist.org/cto/2369521130.html
    I had a 86 that would get 30+ mpg and the ac would freeze you. I still wish I would not have sold it.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a good point. You want a business policy anyway, since every personal policy I've read specifically excludes business use. In other words, if you get in an accident while you're running around servicing your accounts you won't be covered. The only problem you may face is I'm not sure if a business policy can be issued to a person under age 18. Good luck, hope it works out.